Humanity for Haiti | Teen Ink

Humanity for Haiti

By graveschick1161 SILVER, Plainfield, Illinois
graveschick1161 SILVER, Plainfield, Illinois

Haiti has yet to overcome the tragic disaster that occurred on January 12, 2010. Haiti faced a 7.0 magnitude earthquake that distressed the whole country. Jean-Max, Prime Minister was quoted, “We want to get out of misery and get into poverty,” Haiti is in such horrific conditions that before the earthquake happened, that they thought they were living in the worst conditions possible. Now they have far surpassed that point. Every hour people are being found throughout the mountains of rubble and pulled out in the fight for their lives. Haiti is in a time of desperation and all of its society is crying out for our help.

Haiti has become one of the least developed and deprived countries in the world. This natural disaster made this country experience a complete loss of hope. The destructive earthquake that Haiti has recently experienced was the strongest upheaval, throughout the last century. The devastation from this natural disaster struck shortly before 5 p.m. The earthquake was centered southwest of Port-au-Prince approximately 10 miles out. Witnesses said they could feel the powerful tremors throughout eastern Cuba, over two hundred miles away. Severe damage was done from the quake, buildings collapsed including the capital, hospitals, and many homes. Sparking power lines fell into the streets killing groups of people. There were up to 40 aftershocks, and the most significant thing was there was no way to predict their arrival or intensity. Not only buildings were destroyed but many lives were lost too.

Lives are being lost every hour and the numbers are adding up. The population of Haiti is nine million, which at least three million were affected by the earthquake. It was estimated by the Haitian Health Ministry that the death toll from this treacherous quake could surpass 200,000. It was also reported that the number of injured was 194,000. There is a light at the end of this tunnel. Help is on the way, but it has been tremendously grueling to get there. It’s difficult to get aid to the scene of Haiti, but nations are finding a way. Foreign aid is a major necessity that Haiti truly needs. Hundreds of thousands of people have been eager to travel to Haiti to assist, but the lack of transportation has hindered efforts. As time moved along, volunteers were able to react and realize the magnitude of the desolation and desolation. Catastrophe has struck the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere.

This unfortunate tragedy taught us all an important lesson, that this event in history will never be forgotten, but as nations come together as one, overcome disasters of this magnitude. When disasters and devastation strikes, countries put their differences aside and nations unite to bring aid to Haiti. Many donations and contributions are being sent to Haiti from all across the globe. This gives us hope that humanity still exist in mankind.

I knew I had to stand up for what I believed in and had to let others know about what is truely happeneing in Haiti.

holly1221 said...
holly1221, Plainfield, Illinois
I love the last line of this piece. So beautifully and well said!