Responsibilities of the United States Government | Teen Ink

Responsibilities of the United States Government

By ddangar26 BRONZE, Boonton, New Jersey
ddangar26 BRONZE, Boonton, New Jersey

Money is just a thin piece of paper but is valued highly by society. Money is crucial in modern times because you can’t do anything without money except beg for help. A lot of people have barely any money or no money and they are below a line called the poverty line. Poverty is when a person or community lacks the financial resources and essentials needed for a minimum standard of living. Poverty has been a massive issue in the United States for a long time. It is an issue that affects many people, and also some people are just barely above the poverty line living paycheck to paycheck and struggling every day.  Currently, the United States government has enough resources to end poverty but they are not trying to end it. Also, the United States government is just letting these people in poverty starve and live in these horrible conditions. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the United States government to end poverty. 

The first reason why poverty is the responsibility of the United States government is that they have enough power and influence to end poverty. In the article, “Stimulus Led to a Decline in U.S. Poverty,” the author states that “Biden is urging Congress to enact more programs…” (Long and Goldenstein 2). This shows that Congress has enough power to end poverty but they choose not to. In the article, “Why Getting Congress to Fund Help for US Children in Poverty Is So…,” the author reveals that “If a program gives more generous help to families with children that have little or no income, as the Biden administration’s did and most Democrats are demanding, it could wind up giving larger tax credits to a much higher number of working-class and middle-class Americans as well - making the program costlier” (Lenkowsky 3-4). This suggests that they have the power necessary to aid the people that are affected by the horrible issue called poverty but are scared of the cost.

The second reason why poverty is the responsibility of the U.S. government is that they have enough resources to end poverty. In the article, “Stimulus Led to a Decline in U.S. Poverty,” the author discloses that “Nearly 8.5 million people were lifted out of poverty last year…” (Long and Goldenstein 2). This clearly demonstrates that they have the resources to enact programs that heavily impact poverty so they can most likely have the resources they need to end poverty. In the article, “Stimulus Led to a Decline in U.S. Poverty,” it is declared that “What happens next to family incomes and poverty will depend largely on how many Americans are able to return to work in the coming months and whether the U.S. government extends some aid to low-income Americans” (Long and Goldenstein 6). This clearly shows that the U.S. government has plenty of resources to help but chooses not to which is absurd.

In conclusion, it is the responsibility of the United States government to end poverty because they have enough resources to aid people in poverty, and have enough power to end it. Although some may believe that, it is not their responsibility to end poverty, the evidence shown proves that the U.S. government has the resources and power to be able to end poverty so they should not just sit around and do nothing and let these people in poverty suffer. Ultimately, if the United States government lets this dreadful issue known as poverty worsen, it could worsen to the point where poverty cannot be ended.

I wrote this essay for my English class I hope you enjoy this essay.