Tuner Culture | Teen Ink

Tuner Culture

By LilDhesi SILVER, Upton, Massachusetts
LilDhesi SILVER, Upton, Massachusetts

Most people buy cars just for their daily drive to work and for going places that would typically take longer using a bike or walking. Except what most people don't realize is that cars are more than just a form of transportation. Cars can tell a story too. There are people called tuners in the car community, and they strive to make their car unique and fast because they want to be different. Some people do it because they like the looks or because they have a passion for working on cars, while others might build something in remembrance of a loved one or express how they feel to the world. Either way, tuners are some of the most genuine people to meet in the car community. I think that the most common question tuners get is, why do you tune?           

There are many reasons why people tune their cars, and let's examine them. First off, people tune in because it's a way to express their emotions. They could be modifying or tuning their car because their father had a similar car or because they like to use body kits and modifications to express how they feel. They might use red to show they are angry or a light blue to show that they are cruising along happily in life. Next is tuning for fashion. Let's not forget that cars are also a fashion statement. That's why there's a difference in tuners, luxury, and economy cars. People like to buy run-down forgotten vehicles and make them look like they are in their prime. They might also take a new car and make it wide with wheels sticking out; this is called negative camber.

Now that I've told you some of the reasons people tune let's break down the costs. Before we go too deep into prices, let's start with something simple: the foundation for this topic, different cars have different parts with different prices. The more widespread cars that have been around for a long time, like the Honda Civic and the Mazda Miata, will have cheaper parts and more prominent communities to reach out to when looking for parts. While more rare cars or cars from more expensive companies such as the Porsche 944 or Honda NSX. These cars and parts can be costly because either people no longer make them or are just expensive to make and are a factory burden.

The last topic in this article is going to be the most popular tuner cars. As I mentioned in the paragraph above, the Honda Civic and Mazda Miata are probably the two most popular tuner cars, but that's not even close to the millions of tuners out there, so let me explain which cars are the most common in the tuner culture and why. My personal favorite is the BMW E30 3 Series, and it was made between 1982-1994. I like it because of the car's shape and how there are many modifications out there for it. No two E30's are the same. The next car that's the most popular is the Honda Civic, and that's probably because you can find the Honda Civic used for very cheap and the modifications are inexpensive. As I mentioned before, the Mazda Miata is also extremely popular among tuners, and one reason is the 50/50 weight distribution. It makes the car very agile, fast, and fun. To finish up this list of the most popular tuner cars, the Nissan 350z is a beast on wheels. One of the only coupes made by Nissan and one of the most adored cars in the car community. That's because it's both fast and sharp looking.

Now that you know a little more about the tuner culture and community, you can also give it a go. It's great to try new things and display your style. That's one of the reasons people tune cars. There is no specific way of how to be a tuner. It's your creativity and imagination, and that's why I love it!