Trump Plans to Close Southern Border | Teen Ink

Trump Plans to Close Southern Border

President Donald J. Trump will close the southern border if massive change does not  start soon. Massive changes that are needed are, up to date fences that can eventually be turned into a wall, the U.S needs to control and eliminate the drug routes,and the U.S needs to have more border patrol agents that are more consistently protected.

Ralph Basham served at the head of four of the eight U.S. Department of Homeland Security agencies and also was the commissioner of U.S Customs and Border Protection.Ralph Basham stated, “A fence will only slow them down, no fence is impenetrable.” One way this quote explains that a fence is not impenetrable is there were around 400,000 immigrants that came to the United States illegally through the southern border last year! The United States should look towards completing a wall so there would be little to no illegal immigration .

President Trump pronounced in his speech that there “were many drug routes running through San Diego, California even when there was a fence.” To replace the outdated fence President Trump established an up to date wall. Which then moved the dangerous drug runners’ routes into Mr.Chilton’s ranch . Mr.Chilton’s ranch is on the US-Mexico border, and he put out multiple cameras.His cameras recorded many of the Sinaloa Cartel members crossing through his property. Jim Chilton states, “An estimated 2,500 illegal immigrants of the Sinaloa Cartel crossed through his backyard last year.”Which many of the illegal immigrants caused damage to his house, cattle, and set fires to his property.” Jim Chilton stated “the total damages the Sinaloa Cartel caused amounted up to more than 2 million dollars.” Jim  never feels secure leaving his wife and kids alone on the ranch. Even though that all happened, Jim still has to run his ranch no matter the cost, because that is his way of life. 

Next, border patrol is now becoming more and more unable to stop immigrants. Nick Miroff is a reporter for the Washington Post that is covering illegal immigration at the southern border.Nick Miroff states, “They reached their breaking point and had to let them in.” This quote shows that border patrol can not keep up with the influence in illegal immigrants. Ronald Vitiello (Head of border patrol) states, “Each patrolman is issued a H&K P2000 (handgun), which can hold a total of 12 bullets. 11 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber.” One way that border patrol is not up-to-standard is because their guns are not powerful enough. Many people strongly believe that there should be more strict border security members.

Automated systems would not work for defence on the border. Gary Williams states, “There is a high chance that our enemies have to technology to hack our machines.” This is one reason that automated systems won’t work because our enemies could hack them and use them to harm us. Another reason they are a bad idea is because they cost a lot. All that money would go to waste if our enemies hacked and destroyed the systems.