College Scandals | Teen Ink

College Scandals

By FinnMcFalls BRONZE, Ephrata, Pennsylvania
FinnMcFalls BRONZE, Ephrata, Pennsylvania

The college admission scandal is where parents pay money or fake having a disability so there children can get into a school for a free or discounted price. The student involved with the college scandal should be removed from the school that they entered. Hopefully removing students that were accepted under these unjust circumstances will solve all of the repercussions from the scandals.

A recent scandal that Lori Loughlin and 15 other parents were involved in has them sent to jail after trying to get their children into college. Alyssa Bailey of ELLE reported, “Lori Loughlin reportedly faces at least two years in jail”. Loughlin’s two daughters are not allowed to withdraw from the University of Southern California (USC), the college the daughters had been attending. They should be removed from USC for a multitude of reasons. First and foremost, the allegations are a literal crime. In another ELLE report, it is reported that these 16 parents “... were charged in a second superseding indictment with conspiring to commit fraud and money laundering,” meaning that they had illegally obtained money and were using the money to raise their students’ test scores. Although Loughlin’s daughters were unaware of the scandal their parents were involved in, they were still let in under unjust circumstances. Opponents on the subject argue that since the teens were unaware of these scandals they should be allowed to continue schooling in their current college. They believe it doesn’t make sense to remove them considering the students have already been in school for a while, have moved in, and are adjusted. This is a bad idea because this would make it seem like an alright action for high school students. Even If a student knows that doing this is a crime and is wrong, they might do it because they have seen it turn out positively for others without serious repercussion. If Loughlin and other’s children are removed from college now, then it would make an example to the new generation.

Not only is this a criminal act, but it also is unfair to the less wealthy. Some children can barely afford to make it through college on top of having to work harder than wealthier students."It's so frustrating because the people who will be hurt by this will the ones who need the accommodations," said Lindsay one of the chief executive officer of the National Center of learning disabilities. Not only is this unfair to the less wealthy but also to the people that have disabilities. Living accommodations for people with disabilities were, in some cases, given to students faking disabilities. Some parent spent upwards of $250,000 thousand just to get their student  into a school. That would take over 16 years at minimum wage to pay for.

This new generation of students will receive a message from the removal of college students involved in scandals and be shown that it does not get them anywhere. These scandals have shown a recent spike of interest. Google trends, a search popularity tracker for the site, shows that keywords like “College Scandal” have peaked interest recently. The scandal is reaching many people, so many students will have heard of it by now. “The university is conducting a full review of the matter and continues to cooperate with the U.S. Justice Department.” stated the USC. The USC’s involvement with the Justice Department is important not only to the immediate case but to show high school students that this is serious and will be investigated.

Removing students involved in scandals will help end future scandals and make things just again. College students with disabilities will be able to receive accommodations again, and everyone outraged by the scandals will feel a certain satisfaction in knowing that college scandals would not likely happen again.

Written by Finn McFalls and Daniel Paulin for an argumentative device project.