Boston College | Teen Ink

Boston College MAG

By Anonymous

      Chestnut Hill, MA: As my tour group strolled around Boston College’s campus amid luscious grass and beautiful Gothic revival architecture, I sensed a friendly atmosphere. Students chatted, and some smiled our way. They seemed to have a lot to smile about. Boston College has a suburban campus less than 20 minutes from the city life of Boston. With 9,000 undergraduates, the college is divided into four schools spread between the main campus in Chestnut Hill and the Newton campus a mile and a half away.

BC’s motto, “Ever to Excel,” promotes academic excellence and shows its commitment to providing students with knowledge and life skills. Some of the most popular majors are chemistry, communications, drama, and finance. Students are also encouraged to partner with faculty on research projects.

Although students work hard at this highly selective school, they still find time to be superfans, attending football and basketball games at the Division I level. There are loads of teams and clubs in which to participate.

By taking part in activities outside the college, students are involved in Boston and beyond. During my information session, BC students described their experiences volunteering in after-school programs, homeless shelters, and even environmental preservation programs.

As I listened to these fascinating accounts, I realized that students were the ones speaking at the information session, not a staff member just doing his or her job, or alumna recalling what the school was like when they attended. We were hearing fresh advice about good study habits and classes and enjoyable experiences at Boston College. The fact that the students have a voice intrigued me and made me think Boston College may be the place for me to prepare for the future. Learn more at bc.edu