Bryant College | Teen Ink

Bryant College MAG

Bryant College

Smithfield, RI:

Located in a suburban setting 12 miles from Providence, Bryant College provides excellent preparation for the real world and a dynamic environment for learning. As a private institution, Bryant is a close-knit community with friendly students and teachers who truly care about the success of undergraduates. Both Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees are available, with majors available in communications, business administration, English, accounting, international studies, and several other concentrations.

My initial visit to Bryant was in April during an open house session. I was pleasantly surprised by the physical atmosphere of the buildings and the greenery. Bryant prides itself on keeping the entire campus clean and secure.

The first building I entered was the Unistructure, the focal point of the college, housing all classes, and which held a variety of resources in a library with 122,000 books, computer databases, and thousands of periodicals; the auditorium; and the cafeteria.

Hanging in the central rotunda were banners representing upcoming club events - Bryant features community services, sports clubs, a student-run radio station, cultural groups, and an excellent student newspaper known as "The Archway." Students involved with fraternities and sororities are a minority, but are not "elitist" like at other colleges.

The Bryant Center provides students with a great place to socialize, eat, and buy supplies. Also available are meeting rooms and quiet study areas. Modern technology is accessible in the Koffler Technology Center, which provides over 200 computers with software for every application.

A popular tradition at Bryant is to avoid walking under the archway near the waterway - the superstition is that anyone who does so before they are a senior at commencement ceremonies will not graduate. (There is a side path you take instead!)

Bryant has had a consistently high percentage (over 94%) of students finding jobs in business and industry within six months of graduation. The Career Services department provides help with students' r"sum"s and career planning. Also available are internships in southeastern New England and graduate school possibilities.

I highly recommend you consider Bryant College. It's a wonderful place to get an education! n

Review by K. B. Danbury, CT

Reviewed in 1993