Every Sunday | Teen Ink

Every Sunday

As long as I can remember every Sunday has been the same, waking up with the smell of breakfast ready and sitting on the couch with our pj’s still on. Mom and Dad cook breakfast in the kitchen as us kids watch a show that we can never agree on. After filling our stomach with an immense amount of food, we head to church at 11:30. After church, I try to finish my weekend homework before all my uncles, aunts, and cousins show up. When they arrive, the first thing I hear is my uncle Chuck saying “It’s Sunday, you know what that means.” I go over to him and give my Sunday hug. Every Sunday I entertain my two younger cousins, playing board games, going to the park and having water balloon fights. We gather around the table, fill our plates with as much food as we can and  talk about our favorite part of the week. My heart fills with joy.

On every Sunday these past 17 years, I've watched my family grow. Through every hardship and every laugh we stick together. I have a routine, a commitment to my family each Sunday. I've learned from each person and I have become who I am today because of them.

Every Sunday we all gather on the couch watching any sports game that is on that day. My Papa sits in the same spot and teases everyone in the room. As I walk over to him and hand him his absolute favorite candy, Reese's, every time I see his eyes light up and ask “Is this for me?”. Even though he usually isn’t aware of what is going on, he can make a laugh out of anything. I have always admired how easily he can bring joy to any room he steps into. Over the years I've watched my Papa become more and more affected by Alzheimer's disease and this has shown me how to deal with anything that is thrown in my way. I live day by day and don't worry about tomorrow. Looking on the positive side of all situations is important. Although some Sundays he will forget my name, I know his love for me is unconditional. He's always his happiest on Sundays and so am I. We share that happiness. My whole family does.

On Sunday afternoons I watch over my younger cousins Camryn and Colin. I take them to the park down the street on summer days or play board games inside. All day long we laugh and eat our favorite potato chips. For that day I'm responsible for them. Playing and being around kids is one thing I've always enjoyed doing, and it’s taught me to be forever young.

As I sit at the table, with my whole family around me, I'm proud of the love we share. Between my aunts, uncles, and parents having work and the kids having soccer practice and weekend homework, I can always rely on one thing. Every Sunday I know we will always be together at dinner time.