Voting in the 21st Century | Teen Ink

Voting in the 21st Century

By alannamarie77 SILVER, Brampton, Other
alannamarie77 SILVER, Brampton, Other

Some political observers have argued that mainstream politicians ignore youth concerns because they know young people are less likely to vote than seniors. In today’s society, modern values consist of things such as technology rather than political life. First, seniors are indeed more likely to vote than youth as they were brought up in a society that respected the right to vote. Secondly, politicians direct their campaigns towards seniors because they make up more of the voting population than youth, leading politicians to gravitate towards winning their collective votes. Furthermore, the accessibility of voting booths plays a major role in influencing who actually goes to fill out a ballot. In a modern society such as today’s, the majority of politicians direct their election campaigns towards the large amount number of senior citizens that actively participate in politics compared to the many youth that do not vote.

Seniors are indeed more likely to vote than youth as they were brought up in a society that respected the right to vote. The ever famous baby boomers have begun to pass the retirement age of 65 and will soon be surpassing 70 years of age. This generation consists of those born between 1946 and 1964, making them the majority of the senior citizen population today. Baby boomers were brought up in a post WWII era that valued the right to vote. Women valued this right in particular since they had only recently gained that privilege. Also, it was not uncommon for parents to pressure their baby boomer children to vote. Canadian senior citizens today have even mentioned spoken of their parents threatening them if they implied that voting was not their priority. Voting is a tradition, which is passed down among generations, and to baby boomers it is one that was reciprocated repeated for multiple generations, only but to has come to a recent halt.

Secondly, Politicians direct their campaigns towards seniors as they make up more of the voting population than youth, leading politicians to gravitate towards winning their collective votes. Strength in numbers turns out to be quite true in the sense of what which age group gets the most attention from political party campaigns. Due to the baby boomer trend, there is an excessively large a population bulge between the ages of 51 and 69. This mass amount large number of individuals can make a huge impact with their votes, since many of them vote the same way not according to party loyalty but based on which party caters specifically to their needs as elderly citizens. In the last federal election the amount number of individuals over the age of 55 that voted was 6.8 million. This can be compared to the 5.8 billion million votes stemming from rest of the population. Senior citizens on their own make up only 14% of Canada’s population but contributed over 50% of all votes cast. These statistics are what cause political parties to aim their campaigns at those over the age of 55 and completely mostly ignore the needs of the youth in today’s society.

To clarify, young voters claim they don’t feel recognized by the government and this is quite true; policy has always been made in favor of retired citizens and middle-class families. Youth living on their own, working, travelling, or studying receive little to no benefits from the current political party in power, or any of the parties currently running in the 2015 federal election. In fact, this year in particular, many of the mass amounts of seniors intending to vote are confused as to which party they should select. The Liberal, NDP, and Conservative parties are all targeting senior citizens with their party platforms in hope of winning over that 14%. If governing parties were to organize reorder their values priorities and worry more about the youth in society than pensions and health care, the voter turnout for those aged 18-44 could be higher.

Furthermore, the accessibility of voting booths plays a major role in influencing who actually goes to fill out a ballot. Senior citizens that are retired tend to have a lot more time on their hands to be involved in politics, especially in voting. Voting booths in Canada tend to have limited hours and are not open on the weekends, leaving the working class frantic to find time to access one. Retired citizens that receive pensions from the government are far more inclined to make the effort to vote every yearin every election. Although die- hard political fans consider voting an immense privilege, many younger individuals find it difficult to make time in their busy schedules to stop by a recreation centre or public building in which voting is held. These youth consider this process a hassle and will avoid it altogether. Another problem with the accessibility of voting booths is the fact that one must register to vote in advance. This process of registration must be completed any time an individual wishes to vote and has moved to a new address. Young people tend to be extremely mobile and relocate multiple times, this can cause feelings of dissatisfaction frustration among youth as it involves another time consuming action that must be completed. Since they feel no recognition anyways, there is no apparent need for and people under 30 to vote as they believe no change will come about regardless of the elected government, there is even more disincentive to vote. Senior citizens on the other hand tend to settle down in one location and stay there. These residents also receive a pension; therefore they and  may have a more disposable source of income than those still in the work force. This barrier in the way of voting accessibility causes a lower voter turnout among youth citizens; however,but  not the elderly.

In conclusion, the evolution of the vote from the 1920’s until today is an intense substantial one. When women were declared persons and deemed eligible to vote in federal elections, voting seemed to be all the rage. Every individual in society was excited to have a voice and looked forward to voting in elections. This obsession with the privilege of voting soon dissolved when people began dismissing the chance to vote. Baby boomers that are now entering retirement are more likely to vote than youth due to their morals on voting while being brought up. The vast amount number of senior citizens in Canada increases their likelihood of voting as well. And finally, due to the difficulties of accessing the vote, many young people in the work force cannot make the time or the effort to cast a ballot; while many senior citizens will do so considering they are retired and have a larger amount of free time. It is due to these reasons that government political parties primarily aim their campaigns at people over the age of 50; however this ignorance towards youth will soon come to light lead to some interesting outcomes when as the young people of today age and take over the voting scene. In a modern society such as today’s, the majority of politicians direct their electoral campaigns towards the large amount number of senior citizens that actively participate in politics, compared to the many youth that do not vote but . Soon, the youth of today will become the seniors of tomorrow.