The Looking Glass | Teen Ink

The Looking Glass MAG

February 27, 2008
By Anonymous

I lay on a bed in darkness, silence, and exhaustive apprehension. Music began, lights slowly illuminated the black stage, and two friends prepared my “breakfast.” No longer themselves, but Ms. Todd and Laetitia, they discussed how to entice me to stay another week.

Piano, voice, and scenery melted together and away at the same time, creating a new yet familiar world. Immersed in the music, anxiety and impatience grew – will I sing correctly? What are the words? How do I convey my message? Music whirled like an unruly wind as time progressed, leaving me behind. No longer myself, but instead a prop, I stopped, listened, and waited.

“I shall take care of it with a good breakfast.” This movement is ending! Time had ­inexplicably slipped away giving me only the briefest moment to prepare. What is my starting pitch? What homework is due tomorrow? Why am I tired … stop! Breathe deeply, focus, concentrate.

To sing well is to excel. As with other demanding passions, I must offer unwavering dedication and concentration, completely immerse myself in the moment, separate from distraction, and focus on precision, diction, and intonation. While I adhere to the strict aspects of my life, I do not underestimate the importance of an analytical approach.

Singing is more than a pastime or something I do for enjoyment. It is a way of life – an expressive, deep outlet requiring intense study and control. It’s an artistic medium in which I can transcend time and space, enabling me to become what I choose: intensely passionate and whimsical, or melancholy and shy. Through music, I may pursue any emotion, achieve any height, and inhabit any place. The world extends beyond its normal boundaries and I am no longer a person but something far more – a singer.

Lights focused around me; the song drew ever closer. “Ah …” Laetitia climbed the stairs while gracefully ascending to a high D. Here I go. Time to start. Support and ­resonate.

“Oh, good morning.”