The Climb to the Top | Teen Ink

The Climb to the Top

December 8, 2011
By steven321 BRONZE, Springfield, Massachusetts
steven321 BRONZE, Springfield, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My life as a kid was a sweet life. I lived in a beautiful house in Puerto Rico surrounded by horses, cows, chickens, birds, beautiful flowers and green grass. Out of all the beautiful surroundings, there was one particular thing I loved and it was a huge tree that was in my backyard. As a child I used to climb the tree every day. Every time I went, I climbed higher and higher, reaching new branches, obstacles, and pathways on my way up. One day I reached the top and I could see my island. All the trees, plants, mountains, animals, and birds flying made it look endless, like it had no limits. I was on top of the world, and nothing could stop me. I felt like anything was possible. Then, there’s the day which seemed like it was the end of my life and everything collapsed. This specific day changed my life forever in a way that I would have never imagined.

It was a nice summer day; sunny, clear skies, and cool breeze. I started the day as usual with my sister and I collecting eggs for breakfast. After breakfast my family headed to the park to see my baseball game. In the evening we went to a carnival in my town. My grandma was selling the blankets she made for babies under a tent. My parents were having a good time with their siblings and friends, and I was with my cousins playing and going on the rides. Suddenly, the mood of the day changed when my parents called me over to my grandma’s tent. Still to this day I remember the exact words my dad said to me, “Son, how would you like to move to the United States?” I couldn’t believe what he said. My body got goose bumps; I felt this cold feeling go up my legs, body, and to my arms. I just froze and was speechless and all these thoughts just hit me fast at once in the blink of an eye. I then ran away from him as the tears rolled down my cheeks. I see the bathroom sign and go in and start to cry. My perfect life was being taken away from me.

Two weeks later I was on my journey to the land of the free. We arrived at New York on late July, and got picked up by my aunt and uncle. They drove us to Springfield, Massachusetts where we would live for seven years and counting. Once we got there I met my mom’s family I have never met. September comes and school starts. I was afraid to go to a new school and make new friends. Most kids ignored me and some tried to talk to me, but I couldn’t understand them or talk back. A few months later winter arrives and I couldn’t believe how cold it got. Every time I went outside, my face, fingers, ears, and toes got numb even though I had two layers of socks, pants, shirts, coats, and gloves on. Snow was only fun the first week until I had to shovel the sidewalk. My first year in the United States was not fun or easy but I worked hard and got through it.

Now that I’m grown, I look back on the journey that I’ve been through; living in a new place with no friends, new language, new school, strange surroundings, and different climate. Despite all those problems, difficulties, and obstacles I still remembered that special tree. I thought how I never stopped trying, past new obstacles, and reached higher. So that’s what I set my mind to and that’s how my mind is still set. That tree taught me to never give up and reach higher. Every obstacle that I have encountered in life I have beat it, and I just keep moving forward. My perfect life was never taken away from me; it has just started, and it’s getting sweeter because anything is possible. I’m on top of the world again and nothing can bring me down.