ADHD. | Teen Ink

ADHD.

By Student129 BRONZE, Voorhees, New Jersey
Student129 BRONZE, Voorhees, New Jersey

Imagine being stuck in traffic waiting to cross an intersection. You have an important meeting to attend and an absence may revoke your chance of promotion. This particular traffic light takes longer than average to change green. As it finally turns to green, the cars ahead of you ease from their brakes and slowly accelerate past the intersection. Not being aware of the light change, you are distracted by a nearby billboard sign. Finally you regain focus. Just as you are about to cross the intersection the traffic light switches to red and you slam on your brakes. For you, this experience happens quite a lot and engrosses you with animosity throughout the day.
I am that car stuck at the red light. I was born with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. In the story, I note that attending the meeting on time will have lead to a promotion, but because of the distraction in traffic it became unlikely. I always wanted to credit myself for something worthwhile, an achievement that would be unique. The only thing stopping me was the distraction of the billboard. There have been a lot of “billboards” throughout my life.

Being born with ADHD created a challenge for me growing up. It made every task appear to be harder than it actually was. As a child, I had trouble focusing my attention on things in such a fast-paced environment. I could not grasp information as fast as others seemed to do. In elementary school I was taken out of my regular class to be taught at a slower pace, which was supposed to help me succeed. I had organization difficulties and getting started on my homework, let alone finishing it, was a grim task. People thought I had an advantage over them because I had a support teacher in the class and was given extra time on tests. In reality, it was the other way around; they had the advantage.

Having lived with ADHD my entire life I often focused on its negative effects on my personal and academic life. I was often overwhelmed from being misunderstood and desperately wanted to take control of this disorder. I began by doing an internal soul search of what I wanted to achieve in life and how to accomplish it.
Over the last year in high school, I have worked hard to better myself academically. Instead of focusing on my shortcomings, I have pushed myself to accept more responsibility in the classroom and at home as well. I force myself to study two hours a night and I am taking higher-level classes in school. My grades have improved and I have a better understanding of how to study and keep myself organized. I have learned how to channel my concentration into studying and am able to accomplish much more than I have ever been able to do in the past.
In college I know there will be distractions, but I have learned to work to stay focused on my goals. As everyday I remain proactive to avoid stalling at the light.

Student129 BRONZE, Voorhees, New Jersey
thank you, means a lot.

JuneTaz said...
The reference to a traffic light was genius! ;) Wonderful essay. You really expressed the struggles you had and, more imprtantly, how you will overcome them. Kudos!