Personal Statement | Teen Ink

Personal Statement

August 30, 2011
By gisel BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois
gisel BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about my life. It goes on.” The person I am today is thanks to my mom. When I was a little girl, many things happened in a matter of a short period. Many things occurred in my life. These events lead up to shaping the person in what I have become today.
Moving from place to place was very difficult, especially at a young age. I used to live in Minnesota, it’s known for its 10,000 great lakes. When I first moved there I lived in a house with seven other family members. During that year, my parents had a lot of problems with each other. This might have been because they got married at a very young age, that same year a tragedy occurred. My mom had fallen out of a three story building. She had to be in crutches for a very long time. I remember my mom telling me “things will get better soon.” This was a very hard moment in my life because it made me look back and remember all the things that I had to go through and how this made me into the person that I am today. It is important to me because life has taught me that everything isn’t going to go the way you think it is, but I have a choice in how I want to live my life. My mom has done many things for me that I admire her for the women that she is. She is a very hard working and a loveable mother. Setting goals is a good way to encourage myself in looking towards the future.
Ten years from now I envision myself as an Elementary teacher. Becoming a teacher won’t be easy. It requires full dedication and patience, but I believe in myself that I can accomplish anything that I set my mind to. My mom has told me “whatever you want to be in life, go out there and do it.” Now that it is my senior year all I can think about is college. I want to get into a good college so I can get the proper education that I deserve. I believe that I would be a good candidate for your school because I meet all the expectations that are required. This is very important to me because in order for me to become a teacher I need a convenient school that will teach me everything. Teaching for me seems very passionate. I enjoy learning new things and teaching it to others. I’m grateful for my mother who pushes me towards following my dreams.
In conclusion, many things occurred in life. These events have lead up into shaping me in the person that I am today. I’ve learned that not everything in life is easy. But if there’s something that you really want in life, you should go out there and contribute it. I feel this makes me different than others because I have been through hard situations in life, but even though everything doesn’t go accordingly to ones plan, my mom will always be there for me supporting me.