What I Want To Be | Teen Ink

What I Want To Be

Growing up believing that I wanted to be a second grade teacher changed November 1,2006. As we sat at Polish Falcons (a Ukrainian Club) we waited for the results to come in. Listening to the lady in the front yell 500 to 200, 400 to 250 my father’s face shined with excitement. That night he had won the election. He was now Cayuga County Court’s new judge. While everyone was dancing around with happiness, I started to think about what I wanted to become when I grew up. I wanted to work with little children, but when I really thought about it, I wanted to follow in my father’s footsteps.

I realized that I could become a lawyer after my father had won the election. Many people that I had talked to never thought that my father would become the new judge. Against all odds my father pulled through victorious making me feel like I could do anything that I set my mind to.

When you look at my family tree on my dad’s side you will see that many of the men are lawyers. I have dreams of becoming the first woman lawyer in my family, and keep my family name in the city of Auburn. Watching my father and my grandfather, I saw what being a lawyer entailed. I feel as if I have the personality and driver to work as hard as they have worked over these years.

Working with children in the courts system would give me a sense of accomplishment. I could fulfill my life long dream of working with children and my dream of following my father’s footsteps. Children today need more to help them more then ever. All the domestic problems can be hard on them, and I would enjoy being the person that they can come to get help from.

My father has always been influential in my career decision. I have always watched him with his big cases making sure that everything was perfect and he had everything ready for the next day. Watching him all those years I felt that his job was exciting and I knew that I was the right person to fulfill a job similar to my father’s. No one had discouraged him from his dream of becoming a judge and nothing can keep me from following my dream to become the lawyer that I know I can be.
"This will certify that the above work is completely original."