College essay | Teen Ink

College essay

May 28, 2009
By Anonymous

The University values an educational environment that provides all members of the campus community with opportunities to grow and develop intellectually, personally, culturally and socially. In order to give us a more complete picture of you as an individual, please tell us about the particular life experiences, perspectives, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring to our campus. In other words, how will your presence enrich our community?


It’s my first day at my new school. I just moved to Maui a month ago from southern California. To say it’s different here would be an understatement. Living in California, I’d become accustomed to smiling, friendly, blonde people. Looking around, I see the opposite.
A couple of local girls give me stink eye and I know exactly what they’re thinking: another stuck up haole girl. The bell rings and I hurry off to my first class, realizing I’m already late. The teachers talk with accents, and nobody pays any attention to me. I’m not used to being in such a hostile environment. The next couple classes go by and I still have no luck making friends. Now, it is fourth hour and looking down at my schedule, I realize I have art. I’m filled with relief because I’m always comfortable in art classes.
I walk into the room and introduce myself to the teacher, who gives me a kind smile, then tells me to take a seat. Our first assignment is to draw the person sitting next to us, without looking at the paper. I look to my right, and a girl’s sitting there. Not knowing how to start a conversation, I blurt out, “I’m new.”
She introduces herself as Heather. We start talking, giving information about ourselves and realize we have a lot common. The conversation opens up to the other people sitting at our table. Before I know it, we’ve all exchanged phone numbers and made plans to hang out after school.
Walking out of art with Heather, I realize how I should’ve been more outgoing in the first place, instead of worrying that everyone was judging me. The next day I do this, and before I know it I feel like I’m fitting in. My classmates, who I thought I would have nothing in common with, are actually easier to get along with than people in California. Although I don’t fit in with how I look, like I did in California, I fit in with my attitude. By being open and friendly, I was able to feel comfortable.