Help Kids With Autism | Teen Ink

Help Kids With Autism

By VFMJmario BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
VFMJmario BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

I am autistic and I don't always get the right help, and I almost failed 7th grade because of this. I got really stressed that all my friends would move on to 8th grade and I would stay back and get made fun of. I need to get more help. I would think that it was my fault that I was failing because I was stupid, it was because I didn't get help. I needed to have my teachers help me. I'm noticing a recurring theme, that people with disabilities are not getting the right treatment at school. According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) “is characterized by difficulties in forming and maintaining social relationships, an impairment of the ability to communicate verbally or nonverbally, and by repetitive behavior patterns and restricted interests and activities.” The issue is that teachers are not taught to teach kids with disabilities. If teachers had more education and resources many autistic kids would be able to finish school and live fulfilling lives. I've read some articles and I will explain this issue. I believe that all students with disabilities should be getting proper help. Teachers should receive more education on teaching autistic kids so that everyone can learn in a way that works for them. The effects of this are that people with disabilities are sad because they are failing even though they are not being taught properly and the kids think it's their fault. The risks of this are kids growing up as adults and not knowing what to do as an adult and being confused. The consequences of this can be kids not knowing the important things in life like taxes, bills, money etc. This can make the population more vulnerable when kids with ASD grow up and don't know how to do things that can put people in danger if not done properly. The article, Barriers General Education Teachers Face Regarding the Inclusion of Students With Autism, says  “Teachers often know more about subjects they teach and not how to teach them to different types of learners.”. This same article also says that, “Teachers may have prejudices towards ASD kids including assuming they will be low achieving”.  I have personally been through this and it is not a good feeling. According to Data & Statistics on Autism Spectrum Disorder on the CDC website “About 1 in 36 children has been identified with autism spectrum disorder.” Some kids that have ASD have special accommodations in school, but many are still undiagnosed. If all teachers had more training on ASD it would help them to help all the students in their classes. This would help a ton to make kids with ASD feel more welcome. We also find out that “ASD is nearly 4 times more common among boys than among girls.” This doesn't mean that they will not have to teach a girl with ASD. All teachers should take classes on teaching kids with ASD so all kids can get the help they need. This can make kids with ASD feel more welcome also. In conclusion I think this would be a great improvement for education on kids with asd. This issue will be fixed by having teachers take classes on teaching kids with asd. This needs to happen for it will benefit civilization with kids being able to learn properly.  Teachers should take classes on teaching kids as well as it would let them get proper help.

Works Cited

“About Ideas.” Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, 7 Nov. 2022, sites.ed.gov/idea/about-idea/.

Al Jaffal, Mohammed. “Barriers General Education Teachers Face Regarding the Inclusion of Students with Autism.” Frontiers, 14 July 2022, www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2022.873248/full.

“Autism Statistics and Facts.” Autism Speaks, www.autismspeaks.org/autism-statistics-asd. Accessed 23 May 2023.

“Data & Statistics on Autism Spectrum Disorder.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4 Apr. 2023, www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html. 

im autistic