Student in The Swamp | Teen Ink

Student in The Swamp

Deep in Southern Louisiana, nestled comfortably along the bayous of Iberville Parish is the place I have called home for the past seventeen years. Hardy alligators swimming through the open canals, liberated herons soaring through the blue skies, and hardworking people sustaining life in their towns have shown me the way of life. As I navigate through a liminal part of my journey, I am left to reflect on where I have been and where I am going. 

Born into a family of five, there is never a dull moment- especially as the middle child. My father has worked in a refinery for the last twenty five years, while my mother has never been farther than a phone call away. Neither of my parents have earned a college education; however, they have stressed to my siblings and I the importance of education, hard work, and morals. I am the middle child, with big shoes to fill; for my older sister was highly successful and is now a special education teacher. My little sister is differently-abled, which has posed its own challenges within life, but I can truly say that they have made me a better person. 

In 2007, my little sister was born, and eleven months later we began weekly trips to Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Something was not right, Kimber could not walk, and doctors and family alike began to worry. After the muscular deficiencies, neurological abnormalities became apparent as well. In the eyes of three year old Remi, this was normal, however years later I began to realize that continuous doctors visits, hours of therapy, and seizures were not typical. It was all one big mystery as to why Kimber was this way, and what could be done to raise her quality of life. From growing up within a complex environment, I understood what it was like for families and the importance of understanding differently abled people. In some situations, ignorance can mean the difference between life or death, love or hatred, and happiness or depression. I took it as my duty to educate myself on how to serve my sister by administering medicine, volunteering with associations such as Miracle League, and learning from her therapists ways to help her. I feel as though humans on this Earth should take some time out of their day to be kind and compassionate to others because we never know what they may be battling. 

However no matter what tribulations my family has faced, our faith remains forever strong. I can remember being a young child sitting in the pews, with green padding in the big Catholic church near the local locks, nearly every single weekend without fail. From first grade up until my confirmation I attended catechism almost weekly throughout the school year, learning about God’s work, interpreting the bible, and developing faithful characteristics. In the toughest times of my life I turn to prayer and in the brightest moments, I find myself thanking God for the opportunities that lie in my path. My faith was inherited from generations before me, I was raised in the Catholic church before I could ever speak otherwise, but it is a part of my soul I believe only improves my life.

Growing up in a rural community, I am surrounded by wildlife and uninhabited lands. My father grew up sustainably hunting and fishing, as did his father and all those before him. Naturally, he passed those same practices and traditions onto me- igniting an everlasting fire within my soul. From a young age, I knew what I wanted with my life: to be in the great outdoors, without the confinement of four walls and a roof. A few years into school, I was introduced to 4H and FFA. These two organizations have shaped my life tremendously and made me more aware of how I wanted to focus on my future. 

From observing the ways of the natural environment around home to learning about agriculture in the classroom, I was constantly assured of what I valued in life. It was my freshman year of highschool that changed my future forever, I had taken my first ag class. Now, four years later I am an agriculture advocate planning on attending a university agriculture college. Like many others, I did not understand the depth of agriculture and its importance to society. However, after just one semester my entire view had changed, and after three years of ag classes I am more well rounded than ever before. Agricultural class and FFA have taught me public speaking skills, premier character, career development, and respect for agriculturists. There is a lack of understanding and appreciation for agriculture, and I feel as though ag classes should be a part of nearly all school curriculums. These classes have made me a two-time national finalist with realistic plans for a successful future. 

Following high school, I intend to major in Natural Resource Systems and Environmental Management with a concentration in Conservation Biology. I would like to continue my education into graduate school, eventually earning a doctorate in natural resource management. I would like to enhance my knowledge on how the earth functions and humanity’s relationship with nature, in order to better sustain the world. With growing industrialism and high population growth, it is important to preserve natural resources. I believe that a future as a wildlife ecologist will not only serve my passion, but also provide positive feedback to my community. 

As I persist through this liminal time of life, I cannot wait to see where my future takes me and what great changes I can make.

This piece is an auto-biographical sketch written for an application for a special award.

It is a short summary of my life, values, and ideas up until now.