Determined | Teen Ink

Determined

By daejahjtagger BRONZE, Sacramento, California
daejahjtagger BRONZE, Sacramento, California

“God is within her, she shall not fall.”

People see me and automatically compare me to the usual standards of D1 athletes. I am Daejahmonni Tagger, an athlete. I play volleyball, basketball and run track. I first started playing sports in 4th grade when all my friends joined the volleyball team. I not only have a strong passion for sports but also for my Christian religion. I developed my passion for following Christian practices when my grandma took me to church on mothers day. My grandma also pushes me to be successful and keep up with my grades so I can go to college on an athletic scholarship. Going to college will form the path of my future which is to be a successful Special FBI Agent or Prosecutor. I am a determined athlete.

My family is the most important part of my life because they have influenced the person I am today. For example, my mom and dad have always taught me that school and sports before anything else. They knew that most kids just go to school for friends and fun and don't really want to do the work. “Work hard when you're young so your life is set in the future and all the work is done and paid off.” They also help me train for sports and stay in shape. They know I want to get into college on an athletic scholarship and my family will be there with me every step of the way. 

My life revolves around sports. If I’m not at school, I’m somewhere at some kind of sports practice. I put my all into the game because I know where this game can take me in life. When I tell people what position I play in volleyball (middle blocker as a person who is 5’4) they say, “You’re too short to be a middle blocker.” or “There’s girls way taller than you that have a better chance of being a D1 middle blocker.” Now that may be true but if I can get up at the net and block just like every other middle blocker, I deserve a chance. Sports are all I've known, all that's kept me on the right track in school.

In the future, I want to go to Uc Berkeley Law School. I want to attend on a full ride D1 volleyball scholarship and graduate with the qualifications needed to be a Special FBI Agent or a Prosecutor. When my career is stable and my money is good, I want to own a 6 bedroom, 5 bathroom house with 3 stories. I would live with my future family. I also want to live on the side of a private lake. I would own a boat and take my family on boat rides. We would go on family vacations for each season and experience different things together. We would also take a vacation for every birthday if they don't want to have a party. I know how much hard work and dedication getting here would be but at least I'll be able to say I've gotten everything I've ever wanted.

In Conclusion I am a determined athlete who'd do anything to reach their goals. I have a family who encourages me and pushes me to keep going even when things get hard. I have sports which keep me on the right track and around the right group of people. In the future, my athletic career will lead me into college. After I finish college and become a Special FBI Agent or a Prosecutor, I'll live in a big house with my amazing family. “Work hard when you're young so your life is set in the future and all the work is done and paid off.” I will always live by those words.

I wrote this piece based on how my mindset is during this stage in my life. Who I am has changed throughout the years and this is just one of the many phases of who I am because it will eventually change overtime.