Economy In Africa And Ukraine | Teen Ink

Economy In Africa And Ukraine

September 4, 2022
By harshitha1nair BRONZE, Dubai, Other
harshitha1nair BRONZE, Dubai, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Vladimir Putin’s unmerited war on Ukraine has unleashed a wave of devastation and outrages Europe. But the enduring and flimsiness are not contained to Europe. In fact, a landmass absent, Putin’s war has unleashed vitality and back deficiencies in Africa.


The foremost obvious effect of the war on Africa is the rising fuel and nourishment costs, swelling and monetary precariousness. The poorest are the hardest hit as a expansive extent of their utilization consumption is on nourishment and transport. Food insecurity is likely to continue, adversely affecting all aspects of human development, from income to health and education. Africa is one of those countries, they have been caught up in the war between Russia and Ukraine.


Africa has economic and political connections with Russia and European Union. It is at odds with both Russia and the European Union and appears to be in the middle of this conflict, as evidenced by split African votes on a UN resolution condemning Russia's aggression against Ukraine. War and Russia's control of Ukraine's land and sea are exacerbating energy, fertilizer, and food insecurity on the African continent. At the same time, Europe's move away from importing gas and oil from Russia presents an opportunity for African countries to displace those supplies and generate much-needed income.


According to the world bank all these problems which were caused by the war in Ukraine started by Putin might cause significant changes in the future of Africa and Middle east. This war could cause an above average inflation and a below average development in the country. If this is how the after-effects of the war continue, I would say I would very much agree that African nations would be left poorer and economically vulnerable.


Food Crisis


After a month of war, the price of bread increased by more than 50% in Africa. Food prices rose 12.6% from February to March, according to the United Nations Food Price Index, which measures changes in international food prices. This is the largest price increase since the 1990s.


In fact, the World Food Program has warned that severe hunger could rise by 17% worldwide, with the biggest increases expected in countries in the West, East and South Africa. In these regions, food insecurity could increase by 20.8%, affecting 174 million people. Together, Russia and Ukraine export 75% of the world's sunflower oil and nearly 30% of the world's wheat. They are also one of the world's top five suppliers of barley and corn. Many African countries are totally dependent on these two countries for their shipment of wheat, oil and even fertilizer.


The disruption of shipments to Africa following the invasion not only blocked cargo, but also had a major impact on the continent's agriculture. From cooking oil to fuel, trade stops have increased the price of transportation and, therefore, other basic amenities in the area.


Africa is facing a food crisis, following repeated supply chain disruptions due to pandemics and a large part of natural disasters over the past two years. The constant civil strife observed on the continent is another major reason why the current food crisis is only exacerbating the alarming situation.


The Economy


The Russo-Ukrainian war will have major economic and political consequences. This conflict comes against a very difficult backdrop, where Africa is still struggling to put its economy on the path to recovery, amid global inflationary pressures and a highly uncertain backdrop.
While natural resource countries, especially energy exporting countries, are feeling the opportunity of the crisis, other countries such as Morocco will hardly be affected by the double impact of rising food and energy prices. This will exacerbate external imbalances and concerns about the persistence of inflation and the evolution of their public debt.

 


The 20-40% increase in gasoline prices has impacted consumers and producers as well as farmers through fertilizer prices. And as revenues fall and public spending increases, the risk of debt piles up. This is true even for formerly stable countries like Ghana. This economic pressure, and especially rising food prices, can not only trigger protests, but also political instability and conflict across the continent.


The Ukraine crisis has thus significantly increased political tensions and potential conflicts across Africa. Economic, political, and social stress levels are already high due to climate change and population growth. Countries such as Nigeria and Mozambique as well as countries in the Horn of Africa and the Sahel have potential or actual conflicts that will be exacerbated.


African governments have called for more economic support to ease these tensions. However, many donor countries are now redirecting more of their money to defence, and it would be quicker and more effective to address the root of the problem: Russia's invasion of Ukraine.


Russia is also one of the world's largest fertilizer exporters, and the war has caused fertilizer prices to skyrocket. This has the potential to affect a number of food systems in African countries, especially those that rely heavily on agriculture not only to feed their people but also to run their economies. It also has the potential to increase food prices, further increasing food insecurity on the continent.


When it comes to vulnerable citizens, the immediate impact has been felt on Africans and students caught up in the war in Ukraine. Reports of racism and discrimination showing Africans seeking protection from the violence shook the world just days after the ongoing war began. The impact, which is not so immediate, will affect real populations on the African continent and will likely increase food insecurity, as both Ukraine and Russia are exporters of oil, wheat, and big corn.


How This War Disrupts UN’s Global Goals


The impact of war on Africa directly affects the United Nations' Global Goal 2, which aims to end world hunger. Lack of access to grains, food and soaring oil prices are also likely to push Africans into further poverty. Not to mention the fact that global food prices are already at their highest levels since 2011, which means war can only worsen food security and economic stability on the continent.


Russia's invasion of Ukraine would also affect Global Goal 8, which calls for economic growth and decent jobs, for African countries. This is not only because of the potential impact of war on agriculture, with regard to access to fertilizers, but also because of Africa's need to repay debt.


Conclusion


In short, hunger rates will increase, and African economies are likely to be far from recovering from the economic blow inflicted on them by the COVID-19 pandemic. Both have the potential to push African citizens further into poverty.


The author's comments:

This piece talks about how the economy has been in Africa due to the war in Russia and Ukraine.