Passion and Purpose | Teen Ink

Passion and Purpose

January 7, 2020
By Anonymous

Passion and Purpose 

The players begin to move in slow motion, the cheering and screaming around me turns into a buzzing mumble. With every passing minute of the match, my worries and fears fade away. Soccer is one of the few things in life that brings me joy and gives me purpose. The chaotic nature of the game has the ability to put me at ease. But my purpose and passion were put to the test six years ago when my family and I moved to the small town of Park Rapids. 

I have played sports for as long as I can remember. From begging my parents to sign me up for gymnastics and karate in the second grade, to being a senior playing varsity basketball and running varsity track, it’s safe to say I have participated in a wide variety of athletics. However, the one sport that will forever hold a special place in my heart is soccer. 

Ever since I’ve been able to walk, there has been a soccer ball at my feet. I grew up playing soccer, and it quickly became my passion. When I moved to this rural town, I discovered they didn’t have a soccer team. This devastated me. I remember thinking, “Why did this have to happen to me? Will I ever play soccer again?” I felt like an integral part of me had been lost. However, after some soul searching, I came to the conclusion that I was not ready to give up soccer. I decided to commute forty-five miles multiple times a week to practice with a club soccer team. When I wasn’t practicing with my team, I did drills and training sessions on my own. I have learned an endless amount of lessons only this experience had the ability to teach me. By commuting over five hours a week for practice I proved to myself how driven and committed I was to soccer. By missing out on school events, time with friends, and free weekends, I sacrificed many things. I also realized the power of determination, consistency, persistence, and motivation through countless hours of personal training. Most importantly, I learned to never give up on my passions, even when there were obstacles in my way. 

Often times I find myself turning to sports as a break from the world. My teammates have become some of my closest friends and my coaches have become some of my greatest role models. Sports have transformed me and given me the abilities I need to reach my future goals. Playing college soccer has always been a dream of mine and because of the time and hard work I have put into this sport, my dream is finally coming true. In the fall, I will be attending Northern State University to play Division II soccer. 

Being chosen as a recipient for this scholarship would be a great honor. My soccer journey is something not many people know about, so by receiving this scholarship, I would feel as if my hard work that often goes unseen, will finally be recognized. 

 Looking forward to college, I have many goals for my future. I hope to be a four-year starter at NSU, and with extremely hard work, I aspire to be named the NSIC player of the year before I graduate. I trust that all the lessons sports have taught me will help me academically, athletically, and socially in college. I plan to pursue a degree in psychology, so I can help others feel calm within the chaos of their lives, replicating what soccer has done for me. However, no matter where life takes me, I want to keep chasing my passions and searching for new purposes.