A Charitable Cause | Teen Ink

A Charitable Cause

By oulvin BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota
oulvin BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota

During the 1990’s women had been gaining power in the workplace. According to the National Bureau of Economic Research, by the late 1990s women’s participation in the workplace had risen sixty percent. In the same way women had become more involved in the workplace in the 90s, my grandmother, Loralie, also was paving the way for female entrepreneurs locally.  Just after coming out of a recession in the early 90s, job growth and employment expanded (Ilg). This made it a great time for Lori to continue her business, a dream come true.

Loralie grew up on a farm in the woods of Two Inlets, Minnesota in the late 40’s. She grew up with seven siblings, only one of which was her full sibling. The other five were children of her father’s first wife. Her mother had left them only shortly after Loralie was born. She’d come by every once in a while, but always treated her horribly.

Despite growing up without a mother there to support her, Loralie grew up to be a strong, independent woman. Her first job was as a secretary for a small business down in Minneapolis, Minnesota. There she met her husband, Dick. After they met they lived in Como Park, St. Paul and had three children. Lita, the oldest, then Richard, and the youngest Timothy.

After their children were born, they moved back up “north,” as my grandma calls it, to the property where she grew up. There they built their “dream cabin.”

Together, Dick and Loralie decided to start a business. As stated in The National Bureau of Economic Research, “The traditional division between men and women is breaking down.” This was very true for Dick and Lori. They not only were going to share a business, but also were raising a family. The late 80’s were a great time to start a business, but in a small town in northern Minnesota, it was a big deal.

In the couple’s business they decided to have a bar, but to get a liquor license, especially in a small town, was quite the process. There was an entire article in the local paper about how Loralie  was asking the Park Rapids council for a liquor license, and there was much contention to her proposal. Lori did much of the work in getting their business started. Many people in the town opposed many parts of this business, but once they got everything in order, business was doing well. After starting a business, money was tight for the family. They had to save money and spend wisely.

Despite the lack of resources from time to time, Loralie has always been a very generous person. When people she knew came into her business, she’d often offer to buy their food.

She said, “It’s good for business.”

“How could it be good for business if you’re giving away things for free,” I asked.

“Well, when someone knows I appreciate them and their business with me, they will more than likely come back.”

Loralie had a point. I had never thought about it like that. Even though she lost money that day, she had gained more in the long run because the customer wanted to come back.

It was this generous spirit that made her business as successful as it was and allowed her to eventually expand it, even through all of her hardships. One of the biggest hardships was the unfortunate passing of her husband, suddenly and tragically only a few short years after opening the business. With the help of a supportive community and her own fierce will, she was not only able to keep the business running, she was able to expand it. On her own, she was able to make the expansion in the late 1990s.

One day during the winter, a few years after they opened the Pizza Ranch, in 1998, a family of three came in, a mother with two children. They looked a little unkempt and poor. They didn’t have proper winter gear. Loralie took notice to this. She offered to buy them lunch. They hesitated on the offer, but Loralie insisted she’d pay and even told them to come back soon. They were so thankful they couldn’t thank her enough. Lorialie was charitable by nature, but the family didn’t know that.

After work that day Lori went home on a mission. She was looking for old clothing items. She wanted to help this family out even more than she already had. She found many items that had no use in her family.

A few weeks later the family returned, looking the same way, ragged and poor. Lori had brought in the clothes, knowing they would be back eventually. She pulled the mother aside and gave her the bag of clothing.

“I want you to have these. They’re just some clothes I had lying around. I think your family could use them,” Loralie said.

The woman replied “Oh no, we are okay. You have helped us enough with the food a couple weeks ago.”

“No I insist,” Loralie said as she handed her the bag.

The woman could not thank her enough. Lori just thought of it as a simple kind act.

That isn’t the only kindness Lori has shown. She continues to give food and clothing to many other families. She especially feels a strong need to help struggling women, because of her own struggles. According to The National Domestic Violence Hotline there are 24 people per minute who are rape victims. Lori reminds me of how dangerous this world can be and how I always need to protect myself. Today she gives to the battered women's shelter once every couple months. I can’t imagine how her donations have helped so many women. She tells me, “Always give back because you never know when it will be you who needs the help.”

Works Cited

Crep, Loralie, Personal Interview, December 30 2018

Ilg, Randy E. “U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

NBER, NBER. Accessed 12 January 2019.

“Statistics.” The National Domestic Violence Hotline.