Olivia's Life | Teen Ink

Olivia's Life

I’ve been outside all night with my friends. We would walk around town with no care in the world with where we were or when we would get back home. My mom lets me out when the sun goes down because I yell at her each night for me to hangout with my friends. I have about three boyfriends. I don’t know their names. I just find them when I’m out and we climb trees and break into backyards and steal food together. My feet hurt when I usually get back home but I can’t open the door so I sit outside of my mom’s window hoping she would hear me yell at her to let me in. My mom is a pretty heavy sleeper, she usually doesn’t wakeup until the big light in the sky comes up and I’m dying in the heat waiting for her to wake up. When I’m finally in the house I demand that she feeds me my favorite meal. I’ll admit, if she takes too long to feed me I throw up in her room usually in her closet so she knows I’m mad at her. She gets mad at me when I do that and spanks my butt and continues to put me in timeout for a few minutes. When I get out I usually try kissing up to her by rubbing on her leg and hoping she shows me some affection with kisses and a backrub. Its not hard to win my mom over, I just look at her with my huge eyes and move me ears, she usually falls for that easily. She leaves the house daily and usually comes back smelling like her other filthy kids, I don’t touch her unless she washed her hands to get rid of the awful stench. Usually on good days she’ll just come home smelling like herself, those are the best days. I may give my mom a hard time but I hate it when she leaves me home alone. I look out the window each time she leaves and I don’t leave the window until she gets back. When she gets back I great her at the door and ask her why did she leave again? I’ll tell her she needs to stay and that she can’t leave me ever again. She just picks me up and kisses me and continues her day pushing buttons on a smaller machine all day. I don’t do much during the day but sleep in her huge bed that is 100x’s bigger than I am. She comes in the room and times and lays by me, she tells me about her long day going to some place called “college”. College sounds like a terrible place because each time she comes back she is just so stressed. When she’s on her little machine pushing buttons, I try helping by walking on it in hope of her to be done so she can feed me again but the usually ends with her getting upset again.

For the longest time it had always been my mom and I. Except for my brother Trey, but that’s a story I’ll get to later. We had our daily routine of me going out all night and come back with the light in the sky shines above me house. I slept all day and she pushed buttons all day. She would make her own dinner that smelled and was never the same. It was good, I enjoyed my days with my mom. Until she had all these strange clothes come into our house that smelled like a different person. I’ve smelled him before on her clothes but always thought it was another one of her kids. I don’t remember his name but she referred to him as “babe”. Babe wasn’t too bad of a person. He always gave me by backrubs, he carried me around the house when I was too tired to walk myself. He kept me warm at night because for some reason he gave off a lot of body heat. When I would hang out with my friends and I told them about Babe they told me that I was lucky to have a mom and a babe because my friends were homeless and didn’t have a mom like me or even had the luxury of getting food each night. They didn’t get bathes like me (which I see as a good thing because I hated when my mom gave me bathes). Sometimes I tried sneaking in my friends into my house or even bringing them over for food. I found out that I can’t show Babe my friends because he never liked how dirty and scruffy they looked. But my mom always put extra food out for them and give them some backrubs. My friends always want to come to my house and get affection from my mom, but shes my mom and she’s only allowed to love me, so sometimes I have to fight my friends so they can stay away. I enjoyed my life with babe and mom because they showered me with love, kisses and cuddles. Everything was awesome, I was living the life of going out with my friends and coming back to food and love.

One day mom and Babe came back home really late and I was super mad because my friends were all waiting for me but I couldn’t leave because my mom told me to watch the house. I heard Babe’s huge red machine come home and I was excited to see them but also mad at them because they made me wait for so long. They walked through the door and I said “Well look who finally came home, I’ve been waiting all…” then I smelled something unusual. It wasn’t anything I’ve ever smelled before. I heard it but I couldn’t see it. It made the same noise that my mom makes when she’s asleep. Then my mom held me and said “We have someone to introduce you to, this is your sister Nakoma.” And out she pulled out a small little thing that looked like one of those white fluffy things in the sky but with hair. I disliked her the moment I saw her. I saw all the love in my moms’ eyes that she had for her. Nakoma was going to be a huge problem for me.

I've always been so protective of my mom and Babe. I never wanted anyone else to be part of our little family. Nakoma was just a baby when she came into our house. She drooled, made weird noises and always slept in our bed. I disliked how the bed would smell like her each time I would lay down. I didn’t like how she would cry in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. It was like she picked the most random times to cry. She always drank my water and sleep between mom and babe. I got tired of it one day and tried to reclaim what was mine. I got up on my moms bed and showed her that the bed was still mine. I guess peeing on the bed wasn’t the right way because I was kicked out of the house for a few days. I didn’t understand. My mom had a new baby in her life and I just had to learn how to deal with it.

Asigned to me in class. I got the idea from my cat Olivia who lives her life happily with myself and my boyfriend along with her sister Nakoma, a 2-year-old Chow Chow dog.