Small But Strong | Teen Ink

Small But Strong MAG

By sophschwartz GOLD, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
sophschwartz GOLD, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

“Strength is the ability to carry out work against a resistance.” As the definition flies from my chemistry teacher’s mouth, my hand races across my notebook in a desperate attempt to copy down her words. Though other students may copy the definition and plan to memorize it later, my analytical mind races to dissect the truth it holds, rather than just accept it. I question, What does it really mean to be strong? Does it mean you can lift 250 lb weights or lift a car above your head? Does it mean you’re “the Hulk?” Or does it mean what my teacher is telling me: that strength is measurable in an object’s ability to function under stress? In a world of opinions and perspectives, I don’t just accept what I hear, see, or read. My opinions are based on my collective processing and experiencing. So, what does it really mean to be strong?  

To me, strength is not just something confined to the lab, rather it is present in my everyday life. Strength is finishing a 400 meter sprint despite the fact that my legs are cinder blocks glued to the track and my throat feels as if it is on fire. It is going from a seven hour school day to a three hour practice to a five hour night of studying and work to prepare for tests in two AP and honors classes the next day. Most importantly, strength is a tribute to one’s character and identity. It is not measurable in weight, time, or ductility. It is measurable in the actions and behavior that an individual exhibits when facing physical, academic, or emotional challenges that test his or her ability to keep on pushing. Through both my academic and athletic career, I have discovered this definition of strength and have become a stronger individual and student.

As a triplet, competition is not a foreign concept to me. In fact, my life has been a constant competition; always a race to be the ‘best triplet,’ or simply to get shotgun in the car. However, track offered me an outlet to express my instinctual competitiveness in an environment that pushed me both physically and mentally. Track introduced me to competition against myself and the clock, both of which proved to be worthy opponents in comparison to my previous competitors – my sisters. Specifically, track helped me to grow physically as it increased my physical perseverance by subjecting my body to extreme physical pain, most prominently with my difficulty breathing. This respiratory struggle was amplified by the fact that I was born three months premature, resulting in a small lung capacity. Though a curse in many ways for a runner, this physical burden became a blessing because it forced me to adapt to my situation and develop the mental strength to resist the desire to give up and stop. Through daily conditioning and breathing exercises, I have trained myself to manage my breathing, I have overcome this obstacle, and I’ve became an essential component to the team for my role on multiple relays. In the face of hardship I did not surrender, but rather summoned the strength to defy a burden that confined my abilities. 

I transfer this same adaptability and perseverance to different aspects of my life, specifically my academic performance. Juggling track and school work is time-consuming, almost like managing two careers. However, I have dedicated myself to excelling at both, spending countless nights completing homework between races and mastering the art of studying definitions in my head while running. Therefore, according to my chemistry teacher, I am strong, for I carry out work despite the academic, mental, and physical resistances that try to supress me.

I am barely five feet tall, and even on my best days I struggle to complete 10 push ups. Although this appearance does not match the stereotypical image of strength, I am strong. Because contrary to popular belief, strength is not something measurable on the outside, but rather on the inside. My coach once described me: “Though she be but little, she is fierce.” Not only is this a testament to my competitive attitude, but it has influenced the way I live my life. I constantly push myself to exceed the expectations of others and to face obstacles in my life with full force and determination. To me, this is strength. 

on May. 20 2019 at 5:26 am
farihaaa85 SILVER, Riyadh, Other
This is what I searched the other day, what is strength. Now I got my answer.