Guide to Choosing a College | Teen Ink

Guide to Choosing a College

By ZachBZ SILVER, Front Royal, Virginia
ZachBZ SILVER, Front Royal, Virginia

"Stop all the pain you're causing and have hope!" ~By me!

Choosing a College is never easy. Many of us have our mind set on one ever since birth because of our parents, well that is until what we want isn’t offered in a program at this certain college. Some may luck out and the college is perfect for us. You may be wondering ‘What would this kid know, he isn’t even close to being ready to choose where he wants to go.’ well sorry to burst your bubble, but my age is the perfect one to choose, or at the least, start thinking about where you want to go. When you’re just about to leave middle school is the right age, you’re finally knowing what you want to go into.

So let’s use myself as an example. I want to major in journalism. So what I did to find some colleges is simple. Just use your trusty friend google, or any search engine, and look it up. So I found a really good list for this. It showed me the 50 best colleges for my career interest.

The next thing to choose is if you want to stay close to home, or get as far away as possible, or even if you just want to be in the middle, or if you don’t care! So for me I would like to stay about in the middle to closer to home. I live in VA and so the ones I could choose from are pretty close.

Now you need to start doing a good bit of research. So my next step is to find the criteria to get into the school. So I found out that I need to cross a few colleges off my list. So by now we are almost done picking our perfect college, just two more steps!

So now you need to start thinking about your self for a moment.  Is where your college located good for you?  We sort of did this already, but now you should be getting picky.  Do you want to live in a big city? Do you want an apartment? Or live in the dorms? Will you be able to find a job? So these are big factors that SHOULD be a concern to you. I would rather not be in a huge city surrounded with so much noise I wouldn’t be able to handle it. So one last step and you're done and have gotten your list for colleges.

Now here is the bias part. Where you are going is it rivals with your parents sports teams? Do you or your parents just hate the people there? Do you love one over the other? Do you prefer one over the other?  This may seem childish to even think about, but it’s the truth.

Well hopefully you have figured out your college because I found mine like this easily. This guide was meant to help you and hopefully it did. If you are wondering what my college is, then I’m going to tell you! I got GWU. Well goodbye!