Saying Goodbye | Teen Ink

Saying Goodbye

By Geigergirl96 BRONZE, Huntington, West Virginia
Geigergirl96 BRONZE, Huntington, West Virginia

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

The bittersweet mixture of both excitement and stress during senior year has now disappeared. We have put on our caps and gowns and done our best not to trip while walking across the stage at our High School graduation. It's the middle of August and the people you have gone to school with for 4-13 years of your life. Saying goodbye to these close friends isn't an easy thing to do.

Aside from that, the fear of losing friends is inevitable. Knowing from experience, when friends older than myself left for college it was extremely difficult to keep the friendship. Nothing is the way it once was and sometimes that isn't the worst thing in the world. Change is something that must always happen. Yes, that change isn't the best or most easy thing to adjust to. However, it's something that we have to do. We have to look forward to the future. We have to look forward to all of the new friends that we are bound to meet. Forming new friendships in a new place is a fresh start.

In addition, one of the most grueling thing about High School was the cliques that ruled it. You had your group of friends just like everyone else in your class did. You knew which social group you belonged in although sometimes you might have mingled with others, it wasn't likely. The great thing about college is that cliques no longer exist. No one cares about who you were in High School. You can go with whatever group and make new friends based on who you are and similar interests. These new details about the highlights of college take away the loss of saying goodbye to High School friends. The point is, if those friends that are leaving are loyal friends, when they come back from college it will still be like nothing changed between you two. If they ditch you, you have the loyal friendships you have formed while roaming your college campus.

An upcoming college freshman who is both excited and nervous to start college. I'm passionate about all things pop culture, sports, and books.