My Major Problem | Teen Ink

My Major Problem MAG

By Anonymous

   
Decision-makingis something I struggle with. In fact, I'd much rather have someone else makedecisions for me.

As I sat in a crowded information session at acollege last summer, I was again faced with the pressure of making a decision.The admissions officer asked each of us to give our name, hometown and intendedmajor. I looked at my mother with panic.

"A major?" I said."I can't even decide what socks to wear to school!" (Which is prettysad, since I wear a uniform.)

As my turn to speak approached, myconfidence in saying I was undecided dwindled. Everyone before me had declared amajor. I watched the girl in front of me search the view book for some obscuremajor and realized I couldn't just say undeclared. So, when my turn came, Iapprehensively said, "I want to major in business." I could feel"liar" written all over my face.

In the end, only one braveperson said she was undecided. I felt ashamed and thought, Why couldn't I havesaid that? The admissions counselor even commented that there are a lot of peoplewho are uncertain and that is why students have until the end of sophomore yearto decide.

I have no idea what I want to do with my life. All I know isthat I don't want to do anything that involves blood or cutting people open. SoI've narrowed my list down to anything but medicine, which isn't really narrowingit down. I've been told many people start college with one major, and graduatewith a degree in something totally different.

After my experience at theinformation session, I've learned not to be afraid of saying I'm"undecided." I know now that I am not the only one uncertain about myfuture studies, and although I'm still experiencing a "major" problem,I'm confident I'll find a solution.