Alternate Universe | Teen Ink

Alternate Universe

It happens the moment you step in the door: an ominous feeling. Walking into a high school is like walking into an alternate universe. In this universe, all that seems to matter is being popular. The popular people rule the school.
They may not even realize it, but they have a sense of authority over other students. This is because the kids who aren’t popular want to be popular. People may deny their desire to be popular, but there’s always a desire to have friends.
In this universe, there are aliens. The “aliens” are the outcasts, the kids who sit alone at lunch and everyone thinks are “weird” or “uncool.” People look down upon them because they are different; they may even be scared of them because people are scared of the unknown. Sometimes it’s hard not to feel like an alien in this sea of people.
The first day of high school is the beginning. It can even feel like the beginning of the end: an apocalypse. This may seem melodramatic but being put into an uncomfortable situation with people you don’t like seems like the end of the world to a lot of teenagers. The first day of school decides which planet on this universe you belong to. There is an unlimited number of planets (some undiscovered), but the ones most visible to the naked eye are Jock, Cheerleader, Band geek, Pretty People, Not-so-pretty People, Drama kids, Punks, Nerds and Preps. All these planets are miles away from each other, never interacting. The only thing that brings them into vicinity of one another is what they all revolve around: school.

on Oct. 20 2011 at 2:45 pm
tabbycat27 BRONZE, Columbus, Ohio

If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.
- C.S. Lewis

I'm not going to say I flat out disagree with your article because this is certainly true for many schools. I just wish you had more of a purpose to this article than what seems like a teen angst journal entry. I also want to hear more of your writing voice, because you're a good writer but it's kind of dry. Plenty of room for potential!!

Jakson5Freak said...
on Feb. 23 2011 at 7:53 pm
Yea. im in band and yet im also a jock...

on Feb. 17 2011 at 6:25 am
What you're saying isn't always true. There are plenty of girls and guys in drama club who are pretty or play sports. There are plenty of musicians who are preps. The planets are very close to each other, and a good way to have everyone like you is to try to be friends with a person or 2 from each group, and not always sit with the same people at lunch. THAT'S how you get popular, not by  scaring people or annoying them to the extent where they'll leave you alone. If you do that, your friends come and go and you don't have really deep relationships with them.