Gateway to College | Teen Ink

Gateway to College MAG

My life was greatly impacted when Georgia Tech recently offered me a full scholarship to play softball. I have been playing since I was little and it is nice to know that all those years of tournaments until two in the morning finally paid off. Not only do I have the chance to attend a great school and work toward a good career, I can continue to do something I love.

From the age of 10, I have been writing down goals I hoped to achieve through softball. My first was always to play in Division I. Now that has become a reality and I am both astounded and overcome with excitement. Looking back, I can see how much I have grown. Five years ago, I never would have guessed that I would be in the position I am today. It is surreal. Since I was signed earlier this year, I have been able to relax and focus on my grades while continuing to improve at softball.

One of the most exciting aspects of my achievement is that I will go to a highly prestigious school. Georgia Tech is known as one of the best schools in the country and can help further my chance of having an amazing career. Georgia Tech has a 100 percent job placement rate in the field of engineering, which I hope to pursue. Tech is a competitive school, and I will have to work twice as hard since I am going to play softball, but it will definitely be worth it.

Not only is Georgia Tech hard to get into academically, but their softball team is ranked in the top 20. Only about 100 women are selected each year and I am very grateful to be one of those special few. I was first noticed by Tech when my team was playing our biggest rival, the Atlanta Vipers. Georgia Tech scouts had come to watch some of the Vipers in action. I played a great game defensively and I went two for two with two walks offensively. A few weeks later, I found out that the scouts had seen me and were interested.

I was very excited to hear that Georgia Tech was recruiting me, let alone wanted to offer me a scholarship. I am extremely grateful for everything that has happened and for my coaches, family, and friends who have helped me along the way.