I Want to Be An Auror | Teen Ink

I Want to Be An Auror MAG

By Emily Dugan BRONZE, Attleboro, Massachusetts
Emily Dugan BRONZE, Attleboro, Massachusetts

Every child is asked the question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Children often respond with universally popular answers: doctor, lawyer, teacher, maybe even a princess here and there. A very select group of children (myself included) would choose the unique profession of an auror. Outside the world of “Harry Potter,” this is a fictitious occupation, but for me, it exists in a very real place.

It took me a while to warm up to the world of Harry Potter. Growing up, my parents read to me before bed each night, instilling in me the value of reading. Still, I was hesitant to ­accept the concepts of magic and wizardry that dominate the series. But by the time I finished the first book, I had embraced them wholeheartedly. When I finished the final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I was a red-faced, puffy-eyed, runny-nosed mess. As difficult as I found it to initially connect, it was even more difficult for me to ­accept that it had come to an end.

In middle school, I was fortunate to find two friends who shared my beliefs that an auror was the most logical career choice for Harry, that Slytherin was the worst house into which to be sorted, and that the Muggle (wizard lingo for “human”) world would be better off with Quidditch as a real sport. These childhood friendships, formed on a shared love of an imaginary world, eventually developed into long-lasting, concrete attachments that now help me face the real world.

Beyond expanding my social circle, I can trace parallels between the people in my world to those seemingly “real” characters in J.K. Rowling's novels. Hermione is the classic pragmatist, the strong, capable, and intelligent female. I loved Ron for the humor he consistently brings to the story, even in the face of adversity. As for Harry, I admire him for his ability to fervently love his family even though they were not always with him. I can see Hermione in Caitlin, my oldest sister; she has taught me the importance of succeeding in school. Following her example, I challenged myself with difficult courses and by pursuing elected ­positions in the Student Council and National Honor Society. Molly, my other sister, displays the characteristic wit and humor of Ron. She has ­always inspired me to be an individual and I look to her for support in my own dark moments.

In the final book, Rowling describes an etching on a gravestone that reads “Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” As I read and ­enjoyed these books, I ­understood that that same quote holds true in my life. In the adventures of Harry, Hermione and Ron, I recognized the same love and camaraderie that is shared by my sisters and me. Like Harry with Ron and Hermione, I will always be grateful for my sisters' guidance. While we did not face three-headed dogs nor duel against evil wizards, they have been my constant companions and are always there to help me overcome personal challenges.

The conclusion of the Harry Potter series arrived at an auspicious point in my life as I looked toward my future after high school. Just as Harry stood on Platform 9 3/4 and began a major life transition, so too will I pack up our minivan, preferably without owls or cloaks, and begin my own journey, ­although not in the direction of Hogwarts. The stories of Harry Potter have become synonymous with my childhood and have gently entwined themselves in my family and friendships. I am fortunate to have had a childhood touched by magic and filled with meaningful relationships.

In letting go and growing beyond this part of my life, I feel better prepared to face the world that awaits me. While this implies an impending focus on the realities of an adult life, I have learned that you do not need a wand to see the magic in things: just an open mind and the ability to believe.

brian344 said...
dear aurors i want to be a auror too i know all the spells you guys use 

nitpicker said...
quotes from the bible are still just that: quotes.

"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" is from the Bible. So was "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." So they weren't just quotes.

BUT, seriously, I wish that people that I know would actually talk about Harry Potter. Because it's amazing. <3

Everyone, use Dumbledore quotes in essays. Do ittt.

GreenGirl13 SILVER, Groveland, Florida

It is our choices that made us who we are, far beyond our abilities.

I love this.