How Teenagers' mental health is affected by school, social, and home life, and why asking for help is crucial to maintaining a healthy life. | Teen Ink

How Teenagers' mental health is affected by school, social, and home life, and why asking for help is crucial to maintaining a healthy life.

By camy9332 BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
camy9332 BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina

Teenagers are at a critical stage of their lives where they are going through physical, emotional, and mental changes. These changes can be challenging to navigate, and many teenagers struggle with maintaining good mental health. The media often has a negative connotation around poor mental health and teenagers, who are regularly exposed to social media, might see this and think of themselves as weak or unworthy. To quote from an article by author Naveed Saleh, “Media portrayals of those with mental illness often skew toward either stigmatization or trivialization. Consequently, all forms of media—including television, film, magazines, newspapers, and social media—have been criticized for disseminating negative stereotypes and inaccurate descriptions of those with mental illness.” (Saleh). Many teenagers, however, do not know their words affect others in very interesting ways. Teenagers often live in their sadness instead of reaching out and asking for help. This is a problem. Studies show that in the U.S. alone around five thousand teenagers commit suicide a year. If you feel this way currently, ask for help. Many teachers and parents are very flexible and can help you succeed even when you are in a rough spot. Still, many teenagers do not know how easy it is to reach out and get support. In this essay, I will explore how school, social, and home life can affect a teenager's mental health and why asking for help is a way to guide yourself to a more positive outlook on life

School life can have a significant impact on a teenager's mental health. Academic pressure, bullying, and social isolation are just a few of the factors that can contribute to mental health issues. To quote from an article written by Deborah Quinn, “Poor mental health can cause issues for teens, including poor school performance, low self-esteem, and an increased risk of substance abuse. Schools must ensure that teens have a healthy environment to foster positive outcomes for mental health.” (Quinn). The pressure to succeed academically can be overwhelming for some teenagers, leading to stress, anxiety, and depression. Additionally, bullying can have a significant impact on a teenager's mental health, leading to feelings of isolation, low self-esteem, and even suicide. Social isolation is another factor that can contribute to poor mental health, with teenagers who feel disconnected from their peers often experiencing feelings of loneliness and depression. Many teachers, however, are open to helping their kids succeed even when they are experiencing a rough patch. Whether a close family member has passed away, or you are just experiencing some depressive tendencies, teachers want you to succeed and they will be flexible in helping you if you just tell them. 

Social life can also have a significant impact on a teenager's mental health. Social media, in particular, has been linked to poor mental health outcomes, with excessive use leading to depression, anxiety, and cyberbullying. Additionally, peer pressure and negative social experiences can contribute to poor mental health outcomes. For example, teenagers who feel pressured to engage in risky behaviors such as substance abuse or sexual activity may experience negative mental health outcomes. A healthy social life is crucial for a teenager's brain development. Going to parties or just simply going to a friend's house can boost your mood greatly and doing these things more often usually has a positive impact on mental health. However, it is important to keep a healthy balance between school, and social life. If you have too much of one or the other, you can feel extremely stressed or isolated from your peers. Many schools provide counseling for people who need it and if you are struggling, it is always wise to reach out. 

Home life can also have a significant impact on a teenager's mental health. Family conflict, financial stress, and parental separation are just a few of the factors that can contribute to poor mental health outcomes. Additionally, neglect, abuse, and other forms of trauma can have a significant impact on a teenager's mental health, leading to conditions such as PTSD, depression, and anxiety. There are many situations that a teenager can find themselves in when it comes to home life. These struggles can leave long-lasting effects on a teenager's life and can result in serious mental illness. In times like this, reaching out for help is crucial. Whether it is a teacher, a therapist, a counselor, or even a friend, having somebody with you while you are going through challenges can make the healing process all the better.

Despite the many challenges that teenagers face, many are reluctant to ask for help. There are several reasons why teenagers may be hesitant to seek help for mental health issues. Firstly, there is still a significant stigma surrounding mental health, with many teenagers feeling ashamed or embarrassed to seek help. Additionally, many teenagers may not recognize the signs of poor mental health or may not understand that what they are experiencing is a mental health issue. Finally, many teenagers may not have access to mental health resources or may not know where to turn for help. Once again, this is a problem. Therapy does work with 75% of people around the world that have had issues with mental health and have benefitted from therapy. Many mental health experts also highlight school counseling and how it does work.

Teenagers need to recognize that there is no shame in seeking help for mental health issues. There are many resources available, including school counselors, therapists, and mental health hotlines. Teenagers' lives can be hard. I’m not saying they are the hardest in the world right now, because they aren’t, they aren't even close to the hardest. However, it is important to realize that a teenager's brain is still developing and is in an extremely important phase of development as well. To quote from an article by Insight Treatment, “Mental health counseling for teenagers can play a pivotal role. Therapists work with individuals or families in private sessions to create coping strategies for emotional difficulties such as depression, stress, grief, and family problems. They use techniques such as teaching healthy thinking and behavior skills such as problem-solving during therapy sessions.” (Mental Health Counseling) If we can instate the reality of help being needed to make it in life, that no matter how weak or stupid you may feel, reaching out is never, never a bad idea.

This piece is extremely important to me personally and I will always be a huge advocate for mental health awareness. I feel as though this article I have written can help shed some light on this very real issue and help someone realize that they are not alone.