Crimes Committed Against Animals | Teen Ink

Crimes Committed Against Animals

May 25, 2023
By Anonymous

Do you want to sit and watch shelter animals die or do you want to do something about it? Read and learn how you can help save lives. I have written this article to make people aware of what happens when dogs end up in a local shelter. It is said that 9/10 dogs are euthanized that come into the shelter because they might be a bully breed with stereotypes about them, might have disabilities, or have been in the shelter too long. 

Reality of dogs in shelters

The article “What Happens to Dogs in Shelters” it states:

"If your dog doesn't get adopted within 72 hours and the shelter is full it will be destroyed”(WhatHappensTo). This quotation shows dogs that have been there the longest are less adoptable and are first to be euthanized. Shelters are so overpopulated when a new dog comes in there is no room, so one has to go to. If people start adopting more dogs and giving them a second chance at life it will drastically change the number of animals euthanized each year. Ever wonder why bully breeds who have stereotypes against them get put in the back of the shelter?


In this article, “Pit Bull Bans Have No Place in a Humane Community.”The author says,"they told me, with a sense of shame, that WHS had a policy against adopting out pit bull-type dogs. Those surrendered by their owners were walked immediately to the euthanasia room. And those who came in as lost or ‘stray’ were held for seven days and then killed"(PitBullBans). This information shows you what really happens in the shelter and why people should adopt the dogs with all these stereotypes and dogs that have been there for an extended period of time. 

The statistics
Have you ever actually looked at the numbers euthanizations around the world?  In the article “Strategies to Reduce the Euthanasia of Impounded Dogs and Cats Used by Councils in Victoria, Australia.” “Current estimates by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) are that approximately 6.5 million dogs and cats enter shelters across the United States of America (USA) each year, and that 1.5 million are euthanized”( Rand, Lancaster, Inwood, Cluderay, Marston). This information proves how animals that go into shelters sometimes don't make it out. If people adopt these pets, it will contribute to stopping the overpopulation.


Euthanization is used in developing countries as a method of population control for dogs and cats entering shelters and pounds. Addressing concerns surrounding the euthanization of stray and surrendered dogs and cats in shelters involves finding alternative strategies to decrease intake and increase the number released alive, through reclaim by their owners, adoption, or transfer to a rescue group. In the article, “Strategies to Reduce the Euthanasia of Impounded Dogs and Cats Used by Councils in Victoria, Australia.””Australia reported that 44,770 dogs and 53,912 cats entered their shelters nationally; and of these, 13% of dogs and 27% of cats were euthanized”( Rand, Lancaster, Inwood, Cluderay, Marston).

Advantages to adopting a shelter dog
What advantages even come to saving shelter lives? The rewards of adopting a four legged friend outweighs most concerns and fears you may have about adopting. Adopting can be a tough decision that you need to make but it's also worth it in the end.


You're saving more than one life by adopting a rescue pet. By adopting you’re helping make space for other animals in need and you make room for them.This helps stop the strategy to control overpopulation in shelters through euthanization. You're giving pets the opportunity to be loved and cared for by someone who wants to help this cause. Shelter dogs have so much love to give and never judge you once. You give dogs that has been behind a wall of a shelter or rescue facility opportunity a chance to experience the world. They also get you more active and give you a reason to get outdoors. They will give you more social interactions and let you connect with other people.In the article “10 reasons to adopt a shelter dog”.The author claims, ”One thing that’s for certain, is that life with a rescue dog brings big changes—in the best way!”(10ReasonsTo).


What's behind overpopulation?
The answer to that is cruel breeding. Breeding is the reason behind this overpopulation in dog shelters. When you're adopting a shelter dog you're fighting back against cruel breeding and you're helping bring the euthanization rates down drastically. By adopting from a local shelter or rescue, you give back to your community instead of helping breeders profit.


In cruel breeding facilities, dogs are confined to small and dirty spaces with no veterinary care. A majority of all puppies sold in pet shops come from breeders. The dogs are commonly held in makeshift shelters and are not protected from the rain, snow, or wind and are in the scorching hot or freezing cold. Cages are often stacked on rows on top of one another, overcrowded with parasites and maggots. The vast amount of puppies mass produced in the factories or mills adds to the controversial problem of overpopulation and millions of unwanted dogs being killed each year. Puppy mills are inhumane, irresponsible, and contribute to the pet overpopulation and increase taxpayers’ expense of killing animals.


Summary
So the real question is: are you going to help and support this cause? Adopt your next companion from the shelter. Millions of animals are waiting in shelters across the world to be someone's next beloved best friend. More animals come into the shelter everyday than there are homes.Give these animals a second chance to explore the world and be a loyal and amazing companion.  In this article “What Happens to Dogs in Shelters” it states, “between 9 and 11 MILLION animals die every year in shelters and only you can stop it”(WhatHappensTo).

 

 

 

 

 

Works Cited

Anonymous . “What Happens to Dogs in Shelters.” Akita Rescue MidAtlantic Coast, Inc., 2019, akitarescue.rescuegroups.org/info/display?PageID=3247 .


ASPCA. “10 Reasons to Adopt a Shelter Dog.” ASPCA, 16 Oct. 2019, www.aspca.org/news/10-reasons-adopt-shelter-dog.


Farm, Lollypop. “Top 6 Reasons to Consider Adopting a Senior Pet.” Lollypop Farm, 11 Nov. 2019, www.lollypop.org/top-6-reasons-to-consider-adopting-a-senior-pet/#:~:text=Senior%20dogs%20are%20often%20already. Accessed 1 May 2023.


Lisa. “Pit Bull Bans Have No Place in a Humane Community.” Www.humanerescuealliance.org, 14 Aug. 2022, www.humanerescuealliance.org/blog/posts/pitbull-bans-have-no-place-in-a-humane-community.


Rand, Jacquie, et al. “Strategies to Reduce the Euthanasia of Impounded Dogs and Cats Used by Councils in Victoria, Australia.” Animals, vol. 8, no. 7, 21 June 2018, p. 100, doi.org/10.3390/ani8070100.