The Art of the 'Cheesy' | Teen Ink

The Art of the 'Cheesy'

February 12, 2024
By 24wr SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
24wr SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“I may not know much but I sure do know how to make a good Cheesy,” Evan Boxley (17) from Arrowhead High School in Hartland, Wisconsin, said. He calls his grilled cheeses “Cheesies” because his sandwiches are so much better than any other ordinary grilled cheese, his needed a different name.

He says the key to a perfect crisp first bite is mayo. Apparently using mayo to toast both sides of the grilled cheese will give it that perfect crunch. If you are out of mayo, you can also substitute butter. Cooking the sandwich on a low heat pan will let the mayo “do it’s thang,” Boxley says. So Boxley likes to mayo both sides of the bread and flip it after the bread turns into that perfect golden color. He says the perfect cheese ratio is three to one sharp cheddar to Mexican cheese blend. The sharp cheddar needs to be in slices and the Mexican cheese blend needs to be shredded for the iconic “Cheesy” to taste just right. Another one of Boxley’s super secret special tips is to sprinkle cheese on the top and then cook the cheese to make an even crispier first bite. This is apparently a professional move, so it will be very hard to get right the first time, but once you master it there will be a nice crisp and it will also have a fried cheese tang. He says the best bread to use is artisan bread because the texture is just right. The artisan bread will allow for a crunchy bread with a soft center which compliments the savory cheesy taste very well. Overall, the first bite will placate your starving taste buds.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter if you make your grilled cheese just like Boxley’s famous Cheesy but make it like how you enjoy it. The “Cheesy” is just an outline but after you make it the first time you can make adjustments to find your own perfect grilled cheese.


The author's comments:

I interviewed an expert to get my information on this piece.