JFK | Teen Ink

JFK

Poetry as a Framework To Analyze History

John F Kennedy grew up in the Bronx and was raised in a very wealthy family. He was the only president to win a purple heart and one of the few presidents to have a poet speak at his inauguration speech. The poet he had chosen to speak was Robert Frost, he was a rather famous poet at the time and some of his famous poems were “The Road not Taken” and “Fire and ice”. He was chosen because of his works and how much passion he spoke with and was good at it.

Robert Frost

Robert Frost was born in San Francisco on March 26, 1874. Robert Frost and his father, William Prescott Frost Jr., and his mother, Isabelle Moodie, had moved from Pennsylvania shortly after marrying. He was very interested in reading and writing about poetry; But Frost drifted through a lot of different occupations. After leaving school and working for the Lawrence Sentinel as a teacher, editor, and cobbler . He published his first  poem, "My Butterfly," on November 8, 1894, in the New York newspaper The Independent. During his high school years in Lawrence, he went to Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire, and later at Harvard University in Boston. But at Harvard, he did not get a scholarship.

John F Kennedy

John F. Kennedy was born into a politically wealthy family. He was part of a Boston family of Irish-Catholics. John and his eight siblings enjoyed a childhood of lots of servants and private schools. Though the Great Depression was sweeping the nation by surprise, Jack and his eight siblings enjoyed sailboats, servants, and summer homes. Kennedy claimed later that he only experienced the Great Depression in books he read at Harvard University. During his childhood and youth, John's brother Jack Kennedy suffered frequent serious illnesses. Even with that, he strove to make his way, writing a best-selling book while he was still in college at Harvard University. Kennedy's wartime service made him a hero. After a short time as a journalist, Kennedy entered politics. He served the US House of Representatives for a duration from 1947 to 1953 and then the US Senate from 1953 to 1961.