school start times are ruining the way of moderen education | Teen Ink

school start times are ruining the way of moderen education

By kste36649 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
kste36649 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

School start times have become more of a world wide issue, that is taking an exstancial amount of time to be solved, and the solution is so simple, move back the times of schools starting.

46 states have in fact moved start times of schools back and have seen a great deal of improvement. Tardiness is reduced, test scores grew drastically, and more homework being turned in and done completely.                                                                                                 

With these studies research has shown that adolescents need at least nine hours of sleep in order to be successful, sleep experts have determined, becaucause melatonin in the growing mind of a teen does not  start producing until 11pm and stops producing at 8am. ⅖ of teens are getting six hours or less because their not getting adequate sleep. 

At stanford university a study was done with two groups of teens, having one group wake up at the normal start times of some schools seven thirty or earlier, and the other group waken up and eight thirty or later. The group that woke up at the earlier time did not fully get energized until about 11, the group waking up at the later time was more enthusiastic and ready to take on the day. 

Teachers feel as if it is liking pulling out hair during their first hour class,because of how early it is, kids are not ready to begin learning when all they can think about is crawling back into bed when they get out of school even though they just got out of it.

If the start times in the rest of the states do get moved back in fact this needs to be the last time, it cannot keep being moved back and then moving it forward again, once these kids get used to this, it will be ripped away again, because school administration were not for sure on their decision, and all hopes of trying in school in general will be lost.

The solution is so simple, yet the tiniest steps are being taken in order to achieve it.

school start times are affecting me and also are going to affect the yonger generations. if this does get published I hope that it does change, or create a change that we are looking for.