Living The Moment | Teen Ink

Living The Moment

By jdeanda1, Warren, Michigan
jdeanda1, Warren, Michigan

Author's note:

This is just a writing piece for English 

The bright sun reflected against my eyes making squink but unable to resist looking back at the beautiful heart of the city. Everywhere you went you could hear the several conversations that took place near you, people speaking their native language or just plain English. They might be asking for directions or talking among themselves. Walking further down the streets of new york, buildings and crowds of people started to change, it was much more crowded and the buildings were practically reaching for the sky. The smoke from the sewers blinded our vision and behind that fog was bright lights waving back at us. Breaking through the smoke we could see the bright colors of the billboards and people of different cultures and races filling up the streets of New York. The different colors of the Billboards attracted us and we wanted to see more, we wanted to see what the city had to offer and would history it holds. Nothing Was the Same and it didn't have any certain pattern to it, the roads were crammed with cars and everyone around us was chatty. I glanced at my friend and her long hair was a flowing golden river through the air. She was amazed at everything we saw and talking to me about how beautiful everything was and that she couldn’t believe her eyes she kept  saying “I never have seen tall buildings like this before, it must have taken years just to get this done.” I was agreeing and others responding “ these buildings hold some much, they hold memories and history of people’s lives”.

We stopped at several stores and they each carried many unique items that caught our eyes, some of us went inside while others stuck around to see more of the city. Going to the particular store there was stench that shocked my nose, it was as if something died inside. We made it to time square bright, red dances with my eyes and youthful people were filling up chairs, they were either talking or taking pictures next to buildings that caught their eye. As we were walking, there was a sudden bang as if something hit a pole of some sort, I looked behind to see a girl rubbing her head and laughing about running into a pole her cheeks were red like a rose. Throughout the trip I noticed one main thing, not many people were on their phones and they seemed to be living. Everyone was living the moment they were in regardless of where they were, time square people took in the beautiful buildings, the streets surrounded by cars and different people they took in every single moment so far they experienced and not waste so much on a single device. The sun started to set, glancing up you could the sunset was the most gorgeous thing we saw yet, the clouds were edged with pink and gold and the sky was full of orange and tint of purple and blue at the very bottom. That moment had an effect on people and they stood there just taking that moment watching the sunset, lights around the city started going on making everything brighter than ever, while walking wearily home I wondered where Emma was since she just disappeared to the front of the crowd. I looked up again to see the stars dancing playfully with the moon, I would remember little stories my mom would tell me about the moon, like how the only reason it followed me was to protect me and the stars are like angels as well or sometimes the stars would just be little friend to the moon so they don’t feel so lonely at night, you'll carry a lot of memories within you or bring memories back from the deep areas of your mind, regardless if you’re with friends or family every single moment matters . Knowing that this was going to be the last day was saddening but cheerful. The last thing I knew an alarm clock was yelling at me to get up and start a new day regretting not cherishing certain things.