The pain I am feeling now is, the pain i will never retain | Teen Ink

The pain I am feeling now is, the pain i will never retain

By abbeymeridieth BRONZE, irvine, California
abbeymeridieth BRONZE, Irvine, California

Strength does not come from winning, your struggles develop your strengths when you go through hardships and decide not to surrender that is strength.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Author's note:

My English teacher inspired me to write about my past life and write a memorable memior.

“I love you.”
Those words coming from his mouth were probably the best words I could hear. I got a plethora of feelings in my stomach every time I heard those words. They were feelings I hadn’t felt in a long time. Loved. Happiness. Wanted.  He seemed to care more than anyone in the world about my happiness and self-being. He was like prince charming. On March 18, 2016, I realized I was the luckiest girl in the world to call him all mine… or at least I thought he was.
“Abbey, I need to tell you something.”
“Yeah, baby, go for it; you can tell me anything.”
“Promise me you won’t get mad?”
“Yeah, of course. It can’t be that bad.”
At this point of time, I got worried, and I held the phone closer to my ear so I did not miss any information that he was going to say.
“Remember how you told me to tell you if I caught feelings for someone else you would want me to tell you immediately?”
“Yes.”
“Well…”
Before he could finish his sentence, I hung up the phone and cried my eyes out. Right away I knew who he was referring to; it was one of my best friends he was talking about. Her name is “D”. They had been talking recently and had gotten extremely close to each other. Their communication all started off as a jealousy mechanism. He would text D every time I made him jealous, even if it was unintentional. He knew it bothered me when he would talk to her, so he would do it just to get me irritated. He thought I was the cutest little thing when I got mad at him, so he would get me annoyed quite often. He continued to call me until I had finally answered. I answered at call number fifteen.
“Babe, I am sorry. I really am. I only caught feelings for her for a minute and then I stopped. I promise.”
After hearing the same sentence 1,000 times I started to get over it. I realized that I overreacted a bit and that I should forgive him. We had made up and it was all good for us. Then, it all went downhill. Ten days later, I found out that they had continued to talk continuously after that night. D came up to me and showed me three days’ worth of texts from the two of them. It was how he said how much he liked her more than me and how cute she was. Seeing those texts broke me into pieces. Out of anger, I called him at lunchtime. Despite the fact that I only had five minutes left of lunch, I knew what needed to be said.
“Hello.”
“I can’t believe you! What did I do to deserve this from you? Why couldn’t you have just stopped and told me the truth? Huh?!? Huh?!? Huh?!?”
“Stop stop stop! Please listen to me.”
“No, I will not listen to you! You don’t deserve me to listen to you.”
“Fine. I get it. I will call you after school. Okay?”
“Whatever, like honestly… I don’t care if you do or don’t.”
“Okay, I promise I will. I love you, Abbey. Okay?”
“Whatever, bye.”
After I heard the disconnect from the phone, my knees fell to the floor and I started crying more than I ever have before. I honestly didn’t know what to do with myself. The class felt longer than ever. I didn’t move an inch. I kept my head down and silently cried. After 6th period, I knew that I only had one more period left. I just had to get through English with a smile on my face. At exactly 4:15 pm, I called him. He didn’t answer, so I kept calling him until he finally answered.
“Hey.”
“Hey. So…”
It was silent. I turned up my volume to see if I was the problem, but clearly he had no explanation.
“Hello? Are you going to say anything to me?”
“Sorry, just a lot of things are going through my head right now.”
“You don’t think I am not thinking either?”
“No, no, no, I know you are. I just don’t think I can talk about it right now. There is just so much that you don’t know. I need to get all of my proof ready to show you. Can I call you in an hour?”
“Sure. If I don’t answer, then I will call you when I feel like it. Okay?”
“Of course, Abbey. Anything for you.”
“Alright.”
“I love you, Abbey.”
“Okay… bye.”
The call ended and I still didn’t get to say what I needed to say. All I could think was, What did he need to tell me that I already didn’t know? Why couldn’t he just tell me right then and there on the phone? What is this going to do for our relationship?
Later that night,  after dinner, my best friend Lucy and I went on a little walk around my neighborhood. He had called me four times during dinner and I was not answering him. The phone rang, and right away I answered it.
“Hello?”
“Hey, babe.”
“So are you ready to tell me what’s up?”
“Umm yes but we need to facetime.”
We switched the call over to facetime and even though I didn’t want to see his face, I did it anyways.
“Here, look at all the messages that we sent to each other.”
“I don’t want to read about how much you liked her. Okay? I get it. She is perfect and I am not. She has everything you want and I have nothing.”
“Stop. Abbey. You are amazing. Don’t think like that. Just listen to me and hear me out.”
“Okay.”
“So basically, I caught feelings for D and she caught feelings for me. I know you aren’t going to believe me about that, but I’ll show you all the proof afterward. We talked and talked and yeah. We both knew what we had going on was wrong, so we tried to stop it so many times, but every time we would stop, somehow we would start to talk again. I’m sorry. I made a stupid mistake and I don’t know why. “
“What else is there…”
“Well I’m going to be honest. She sent me a few things…”
“Like what? Honestly, just spit it out because you have nothing to loose right now.”
“She sent me some pictures of her you know....”
“No. I really don’t know.”
“Well, it was just you know her lower areas… and her upper chest area… and her lower back area.”
“So basically, she sent you some pictures of her boobs, butt, and va-”
“Yes, you don’t need to say it. I am so sorry. I didn’t ask for them, its just that we got too comfortable with each other. Honestly babe. I didn’t send her anything. She just sent me stuff.”
I stayed silent for about 10 seconds.
“Abbey?”
I just whispered to myself, “I am going to kill her. She is so dead when I see her.”
“Oh damn, babe. No, no, no, you can’t kill anyone.”
Then the tears started to pour out of my eyes. I couldn’t help myself anymore.
“Abbey please don’t cry. Please?”
At this point, I was screaming and crying at him, “What did I do to deserve this from either of you? You are my boyfriend and she was one of my best friends. What did I do so bad that made you think something like this would be okay? I did nothing… nothing at all to deserve any of this”
“Abbey, I’m sorry. Please. Just listen. I feel terrible. I get it if you want to break up with me. If you are going to, just do it now. Please? I can’t stand you being unhappy.”
“I never once said I was going to break up with you, but if that’s what you want, then okay.”
“No, No, No please that’s not what I am saying. Just hear me out…”
I interrupted him and so many thoughts were going through my head. I made a decision in an instant without thinking about it.
“Shut up. I don’t want to hear your sob story. I have made my decision.”
“Okay.”
I had my moment of silence before I revealed my decision to him. I could hear him start to cry and it was weird because his sadness didn’t seem to phase me at the moment.
I took a deep breath and said, “I am giving you another chance. If you ever talk to her, Snapchat her, look at her, or even think about her again, I will go to your house, slash your tires, spray paint your house pink with my name all over it, go to your school, and publicly embarress you with posters of your ugly selfies you send me. Do you understand what I am saying?”
“Really?!?” he said with the happpiest voice. “You are giving me another chance? I honestly cannot thank you enough, baby… I love you so much!”
He started kissing me through the phone and it reminded me of the good old days.
No matter how much I felt stupid for forgiving him, I knew it was the right thing to do because everyone deserves a second chance. But no matter what, I knew I would never completley forget about that night. I knew even if it didn’t bother me anymore, I would always remember it. After hearing him thank me a thousand times, I had to go back inside and do homework. So he let me get off the phone, but he had said something before hanging up.
“Abbey, I am really sorry. I am probably the luckiest guy in the world to have someone like you. I am so happy that you gave me a second chance and I won’t take it for granite. I honestly didn’t know what you were going to do when you told me that you “made your decision”. Actually, I thought you were going to break up with me. I was crying of sadness until you told me you were giving me another chance.” I love you so much, more than myself,  Abbigale Marie  and I will never get enough of you. Thank you so much for giving me another chance to prove that you are my one and only girl. I am going to let you go because you need to do your homework, but I will call you in the morning. I love you more than anything in the world baby. Have an amazing night. Like I have said 100 times already. Thank you.”
By this point, I was crying because that little venting speech he had given me had touched my heart. I had never felt so loved in my life. He had screwed up big time, but I actually felt that he was truly sorry for what he had done. At that point, I was glad I didn’t break up with him, becasue he was the best thing in the world. I can still call myself the luckiest girl in the world because I made the decision to still call him all mine.