Iowa in the Review Mirror and Utah on the Windshield | Teen Ink

Iowa in the Review Mirror and Utah on the Windshield

By SarahJinxx, Colfax, Iowa
SarahJinxx, Colfax, Iowa

"Suicide does not the end of chances of life getting worse, suicide eliminates the possibility to make life better.

Author's note:

My wonderful English teacher inspired me to write this. We were writing narratives that were due at the end of the semester and my turned out to be more like a memoir. I love to write and she told me about this website and I want to thank you so much and you know who you are (: Anyways, I think this will be fun to share my stories to other teenagers and we might will have things in common. I will have more journeys to write about like going to concerts, about my relationship, school, etc. I hope you guys enjoy this book! 

~Sarah 

I wake up in the 2005 Cherokee Jeep my dad rented, and the song “Jet Plane” by John Denver is playing. I peek out the window and all I see are cornfields and other cars.
“Good morning sunshine,” my dad says.
“Where are we?” I question all confused.
“Well, you were asleep for about three and a half hours. We are about five maybe ten miles away from Omaha. We are going to stop at Casey’s to get gas. If you want anything to eat, I’ll meet you in there.”
I was still confused. I only heard Omaha, Casey’s, and “Meet me inside if you want food.”
“Okay,” I say. After three minutes have gone by, I figure out what he has said, and start to put on my black ankle high Chuck Taylor’s Converse and start to think about what to get.
We get off of Interstate I-80 and pull into Casey’s. I get out of the jeep, stretch, and walk into Casey’s.
“Good Morning,” says a tall guy who has blonde hair, looks like he’s either eighteen or nineteen years old, working behind the counter. Pretty attractive as I have to say myself.
“Hello,” I say in reply to his warm welcome while I grab a slice of breakfast bacon and eggs pizza and a big can of original Monster. I love these drinks so much. It’s the closest thing I drink to soda.
“Are you ready to check out?” says the worker. I notice that his name tag and it says Kellen.
“Not yet Kellen. I’m waiting for my dad to come in and pay for the gas and my so call breakfast.” He chuckles a little.
“Ah I see. So are you around here?”
“No I’m not. I’m from Des Moines and we are heading our way out to Utah.”
“What’s in Utah? I thought there were only mountains and Mormons.” I start laughing at his comment.
“We are going out there for my brother’s graduation and I’m meeting my mom there for her family reunion.”
“Oh I see now.”
“I like your name by the way. It’s the same as the vocalist of one of my favorite bands Sleeping With Sirens. Except yours is spelled K-E-L-L-E-N instead of K-E-L-L-I-N. I like it though. It’s very unique.”
“Thank you,” he says a little shy, “You like Sleeping With Sirens too? What’s your favorite song by them?”
“I’m tied with my favorite song by them. It’s either “If You Can’t Hang,” “With Ears To See And Eyes To Hear” acoustic version, “Roger Rabbit,” or “Stomach Tied In Knots.”
“Wow that’s a lot for one favorite song. My favorite would have to be “If You Can’t Hang.” What other bands do you listen to?”
I laugh a little. “Where do you want me to start off?”
“Ummmm…. How about Your top twenty”
“Okay,” where is my dad I start thinking about. Eh oh well Kellen is keeping me entertained. “My top twenty. Okay. By the way I listen to multiple genres. Ummmm… Okay I got it.” He chuckles and smirks a little as I was thinking and finally thought of the list. “Here we go. Devils Wear Prada, Skillet, We Came As Romans, The GazettE, Crown The Empire, Black Veil Brides, Sleeping With Sirens, Pierce The Veil, Goo Goo Dolls, Powerman 5000, Attila, Myka Relocate, Intentions, Icon For Hire, Bring Me the Horizon, Fit For Rivals, Halestorm, AFI, Three Days Grace.”
“Wow. I like a lot of those, but I’ve never heard of The GazettE, Intentions, and Myka Relocate.”
“Intentions and Myka Relocate are my friends’ bands and The GazettE is a Japanese Rock band that I listen to a lot. You should check them out sometime.”
“Awesome. Thanks. I never really thought that someone who would walk in here would actually like the same music genre and bands as me. Usually it’s Pop and Rap but not Rock and Punk music.”
“Yeah. It’s the same as in my hometown. Only at least seven people listen to the same music genres as me.”
“Same… So… Tell me more about you.”
“Well. What do you wanna know?”
“Ummm how about your hobbies, what you do in your free time, TV shows, movies, etc.”
“Okay. Well, I play bass guitar, guitar, drums, piano, and clarinet. I walk around town, watch YouTube videos, and play video games in my free time. Some of my favorite tv shows are: “Big Bang Theory,” “Family Guy,” “Naruto,” “Say I Love You,” “Black Butler,” and “The Walking Dead.” I love Tim Burton movies like: “Sweeney Todd,” “Nightmare Before Christmas,” “Edward Scissorhands,” “The Corpse Bride,” “Frankenweenie.” I also like Batman Movies. I almost own every single one of them. Finally something interesting about me is that I’m teaching myself Japanese.”  “Nice. I like all of those too and that’s cool how you’re teaching yourself Japanese.”
My dad walks in after what seems like fifteen minutes.
“Sorry it took me awhile sweetie. Our engine wasn't working and our battery died so I was fixing it.”
“It’s okay Dad. I was talking to Kellen while I was waiting for you.” Kellen waves to my dad.
“You can get a new can of monster and slice of pizza since they've been out for awhile now,” says Kellen.
“Thanks,” I say. I go back and grab a new can of monster and a slice of pizza. I see my dad walk to the restroom and I walk back to the counter to wait for him.
“Here. It’s my number,” Kellen hands me a piece of paper.
“Thanks. I will message you as soon as I can. My phone is dead now sadly.” “That’s fine.” My dad walks to the counter with a cup of coffee and a slice of pizza. Kellen scans everything and the gas as well.
“Your total is fifty-three dollars and seventy-nine cents sir,” says Kellen. My dad hands him fifty-four dollars.
“Keep the change.”
“Alright thank you sir. You two have a great day and a safe trip.”
“Thanks,” my dad and I both say and I smile at Kellen.
We get back into the Jeep. Great, Another three hour drive. This is gonna suck a lot. Well at least I can watch YouTube videos, watch movies and TV on Netflix, and listen to music to kill time. I open the can of monster as I pull my phone out of my front pocket and put it in the charger. I should put in Kellen's phone number after it turns on. After a few minutes my phone turns on. I go into my phone contacts and save his number. I send out a quick text "Hey (: this is Sarah. The girl that you were talking to at the gas station." Great I have that taken care of now time to watch VeeOneEye my British friend who is a YouTuber. Maybe I should go one Twitter to see what he’s up to. Yeah I’ll do that first. I go on my Twitter and I see Jason’s Tweet “I’M GOING TO AMERICA ON WARPED TOUR!!!!!” there is a link to a video on YouTube and I click on it. Loading… Loading…. Loading… Loading is all it’s doing on my phone and I’m getting mad. Then the video starts playing and he popped up on the screen with his faded blue hair that looks like cotton candy from how much he teases it.
“Ello guys,” he says in his cute British accent, “I have great news…. I’m going to America for the whole summer for Warped Tour! After I went to Summer In the City here in London, a few of my American friends also came to Summer In The City. One of them, his name is DeeFizzy and, asked me if I wanted to go to Warped Tour with him and I accepted! For those who don’t know what Warped Tour is, it’s basically when tons and tons of rock and metal bands tour around America the whole summer. Some YouTubers are invited to go and have meet and greets with their fans. We also get our own tent, sell our merchandise, and the best part…. WE GET FREE MONSTER!!!!!” It made me so happy when I heard that my favorite YouTuber is going to be America and I could possibly meet him when he stops to rest in Iowa. Well if he will stop to rest. “I’m so excited to go to America. I love it there. I went there once for vacation but that’s it. Now being on tour?! That’s going to be awesome! Anyways I’m going to be on Warped Tour the whole time and I probably won’t be able to make a lot of videos because I’m going to be traveling so much and I wouldn't have WiFi all the time. I’m sorry about that. In the mean time, I should be posting a new video today or tomorrow. I gotta go, bye dudes!” and he disappears again. I was so excited to hear that.
Okay, after watching his latest video, now what should I do, I ask to myself. I’m thinking as I take a sip of my monster.
“Are you gonna drink all of that?” my dad said to me.
“Yup I sure am. You know how much I love monster and you should have seen that answer coming along.”
“True.”
“What should I watch on Netflix?”
  “Ummmm,” my father says as he’s thinking, “How about Bob’s Burgers?”
“Okay!” I love that show a lot.
I finish my slice pizza wipe the grease off of my hands and start watching “Bob’s Burgers” on my phone. I get comfortable in my seat because why not? It’s going to be a long road trip. I pull the blanket and pillow that’s in the back seat and get comfy. As I start watching a little bit of “Bob’s Burgers”, I feel a little bit sleepy. Then sleepier and sleepier. Then I fall asleep.