The Friendship Train | Teen Ink

The Friendship Train

By M.Montemayor, Monterrey N.L, Other
M.Montemayor, Monterrey N.L, Other

"It's not who you are underneath, It's what you do that defines you." -Batman, Batman Begins

Author's note:

This is the moment when I realize how important friendship really is.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

Friends are the ones who believe in you when you are ceased to believe in yourself, the people whom you can rely on, trust. As people grow up they realize it is less important to have more friends and more important to have real ones.
When you think of the word Friendship what do you think about? Why is Friendship THAT important? Well Friends are the people who you are going to spend the most time with during life. Friends will always be there for you, friends will always help you, friends will always  
make you feel better. Friendship has many different ends, but i'm lucky to see none to come because I have some of the best friends someone can possibly have. I hope you have great friends  because at least five or three of those friends will go through this journey of life with you. They will help you become a better person, and a great friend. I am here to talk to you about the story of when I actually realized the importance of Friendship. Sometimes it is on the most dreadful moment when you find out about this.
And that is exactly what happened to me...
The Train at Checo’s house is a very fun train, but a very dangerous train at the same time. It has three wagons, counting the drivers, and it is all made of metal, different color metal. The conductors waggon is red and green, it has a bell on the front  and is basically a green tractor with big red metal pieces on top of it, the second waggon is a bright yellow color and the third and final waggon is a blue one. Each wagon (except the conductors) has four silver metal tubes on each corner and two rows of benches with cushions on top of them. The blue waggon has blue cushions, the yellow waggon a yellow cushion and the conductors yellow. The wagons have no doors and only a roof being holded by the tubes. But we all liked to ride the train around the lake, because there is a brick red road around it. Sometimes we even rode the train full round which meant we would ride it all the way past the garage and through the drop into the heliport.

You could hear the splashes ,people laughing having fun. The familiar voices which meant fun.  I was part of the party of course. I was in the jacuzzi with some other friends, when the typical bell of the train rang “ding ding ding ding.”
Just after the bell the chauffeur called out “Full round all the way to the heliport you better get on!” me and the majority of the people at the party went running towards the train in order to get a good spot. I got the middle seat of the last row on the last waggon. I was sitting besides Diego.R and Gabriel.D. In front of me was Evaristo.C diagonal was Checo. Diego.C was standing in between  the two passenger waggons on the hinged pieces that were holding them together. We were ALL shirtless and barefoot since (since we had just came out of the water) we were all very happy talking and laughing and having a great time but that was the beginning of things...

We were getting closer to the garage. That is when Evaristo jumped out of the blue waggon. “What are you doing” “you are crazy” “jajajajajajajaja”
We were all telling him different things, some were even laughing but it was the next thing he did that really got into my nerves. Evaristo grabbed one of Checo’s skateboards and run to catch up with the train. He grabbed the two metal poles that were behind me and started skating IT WAS CRAZY! he just skated through the back of the train he was going very fast. I was starting to worry about what could happen to him. But I was laughing on the outside. We started to get closer and closer to the drop and that is exactly when a thought occurred how is Evaristo gonna slide down without getting hurt? We were going down the drop. Evaristo lifted his skateboard a little to skate, small sparks of fire where coming from the back of the board! we were two quarters down the hill and that is when everything happened. The train started going sideways and wiggling then the most immense thing happened the waggon in front of me the yellow waggon FLIPPED!

The chauffeur was trying really hard to turn the train you could see all the people trying to stay inside the waggon some people fell! but what I found the most shocking of all was Diego.C! He was in between the two waggons, he fell out back first on the very edge of the sidewalk. I could really see Diego flying through the air, you could see his face the expression that meant I am going to die, then he hit the sidewalk a loud cracking noise filled the air as Diego let out a shout of pain. This made me remember two years ago when Diego had broken his arm by hitting the train in a bicycle  and puss had splattered all over the place. Everyone was screaming, two people jumped out of the row in front of me. I was about to jump out, but I could not do it,  just that moment I got a elution, I was thinking about the word Friendship. What it meant. In my life I had never realized how important that word actually was. Watching the image of Diego Cantu lying on the ground made me think a lot, but then the thought went away since the hinged piece that was connecting our waggons started to turn little by little, “Ohhh” I said and   suddenly started pushing the people towards the left away from the sidewalk saying “We have to get out of here before it is too late jump we are going down!”
I thought the waggon I was in was going to fall. Just when I was holding on the the back metal tube it happened. The waggon flipped right down, I was watching the street moving and moving below me. Diego.R who was on the right of me was burning his feet. Since his feet were sliding through the hard street below I was holding on with all of my strength. Gabriel, who was on the top of my hand, was also very worried wile Diego R. was shrieking in pain. That is when I remembered “Evaristo!” I turned behind of me and saw a glimpse of one of the most horrible scenes I have ever seen! Evaristo was flying through the air about to hit the ground and he hit the sidewalk, forehead first, and twisted his wrist as he landed . I was petrified by the image but the waggon was still going down down down, I thought more about Friendship, hope runned through my veins, will I ever see my friends again ? I thought I was going to die down there, I thought of a future with no friends of a very lonely life without anyone to rely on. At least I am going to die proudly with some of the people I spend time the most I let go of the tube...

Wind was running through me for just a few seconds. I fell on top of Diego R.  I was worried, how could it get worse? I thought “Friendship is one of the top five things you will ever receive, because you wont forget the looks on the faces the emotions you feel, the times you spend with  your friends. There are good times and bad times. Many other things matter in life such as Family, Life, Shelter, Food, Education, Respect and many things are on that list but the question is why is Friendship on that list ? Friendship is not a tool of survival or a thing you MUST have. Why is Friendship THAT important, Why?...
The waggon in front of me was reaching the point where Diego Cantu was lying we had already past Evaristo. Diego had both of his feet stretched out but was not crying I thought “It should not have  been that serious. Diego had his feet stretched out and when he saw the waggon coming, he quickly tried to move them away tiny shrieks as he did it. But he had only managed to move one when the yellow waggon was going to hit HIM! but the waggon somehow turned, and did not hit Diego, “Phew!”
he said in relief but that “fi uuf” was a very bad thing to do because my waggon the blue one was going right to him and BOOM it hit his left leg “UUUUAAAHHHH”
Pain was what I was thinking about, while I heard that terrible sound I saw Diegos leg below me spurting blood. It looked painful, very painful. You could feel the bump on the waggon as we pass on top of Diego’s leg. It was a terrible sensation just running over that leg.
Right after we runned over it, the waggon in front of us stopped.  Our waggon crashed with the one in front of us. As I crashed with the other waggon, Gabriel got out from the top by pulling his body through the back poles (where Evaristo had been holding on to) then I grabbed on to  the back of  the tubes with both hands and pulled myself high up to see the sky. I was on the side/top of the waggon, the yellow waggon was diagonal from me and I could see a few people still inside and some trying to get out . Then I so Diego.C lying on the ground a few feet above the drop/hill I could see him just lying there his back facing the bottom.  Evaristo was on the one fourth down the hill so a bit more to the top. I went straight towards Diego who was already being helped by Checo who was looking very painful just by watching him. Then me and Checo lifted Diego up, it was the most shocking surprising horrifying gross thing I had seen in my life! as we lifted him from the  sidewalk  he left bits of melted skin where he had just been lying and a big blood puddle was left on top of the gross looking skin. As I so that puddle and the melted skin just laying on the ground I thought “How is this possible ?, this seriously is not happening it just can’t”
Diego looked very injured and hurt , but what made my mouth fell wide open was the sight of diegos back, red black puddles of blood  on various parts of Diegos back I was horrified and so was Checo! Diegos spine was actually showing bright red glimpses of white I was petrified. Evaristo was standing up a foot or two above Diego, he saw Diego’s back and went running up the hill with his hand on his forehead while drops of blood were coming out of his right wrist. After all the shock of watching Diego’s back I finally reached over grabbed Diegos right arm put it over my back and so did Checo on the opposite side. We helped him walk up the hill, Diego let out small shouts of pain every few seconds.

We were going about halfway upside the hill when a miracle happened a dark blue van was coming from the road below us.  I recognized the van immediately, it was a true miracle! The van stopped right in front of the train. You could not see the face of the driver because of the front visor, but I could tell that she was in shock watching the train just laying there  with the two waggons crashed against each other and flipped over. While the chauffeur was trying to move the train towards the sidewalk, the door on the van swung opened and out came...
Diego.C mom , she was gasping for air very shocked as she watched Diego in fear and then saw the blood
“The train flipped over mom. But -um i'm all right ?” he said in a kind of questioning tone of voice.
“Oh my we HAVE to get you to a hospital come on into the van Diego”said Diego's Mom.
“A hospital! mom  can't you see I am perfectly fine ?” he whined.
“Diego no arguing come on into the van” she replied.
I was walking towards the van slowly feeling the weight on my right shoulder, the door opened automatically by the press of a button. Checo and I helped Diego inside the van, to the first seat we found. It was painful just watching Diego, his back  looked horrible, just by seeing it you could get goosebumps. Diego’s mom thanked us for helping Diego into the van and drove towards Checos house?...
We all went running behind the van, up the hill into the gate and across the garage. When we got to the parked van we saw all of the moms gathered around the van in shock gasping and hands closed on top of their lips.  I was very worried about Diego but a thought occurred “Where had Evaristo runned to?” I turned to the corner to see the pool and slide, the medium sized white pillared terrace beside the pool was now occupied by just three moms including mine and Checo’s they were all gathered around one of the five tables. Evaristo was in the middle of the moms they were spreading different types of medical creams around his wrist and his forehead.
Checos mom asked him in a very unsecured type of voice “Are you sure you are fine?”
“yes I'm feeling better with all the medications and stuff” he answered his aunt, in a very unsure tone of voice..

School the next day was very interesting since Diego Cantu actually did show up. I saw him at lunch very hurt . He had a black cast on his left leg which meant that he had broken the leg in the accident ,it wasn't much of a surprise because well being runned over by giant tractor wheels will cause a broken leg. His back was pretty much covered with white bandages inside and outside of his shirt. I don’t know why he came to school the next day, but i'm glad he did. Everyone was asking Diego.C what had happened, Evaristo came with a broken wrist and an opened forehead It was a real pain to watch my friends have such grave injuries, but at least I had been lucky enough so that nothing had happened to me, especially since I actually let go of the tube! but I was glad I had learned the true meaning of the word, friendship. During the Accident at The Friendship Train..
What is the actual meaning behind the letters of the word Friendship, the gift it includes inside? the actual meaning of a friend is a person who will help you become a better person. A friend can sometimes be a very heavy burden, but it is worth carrying. A true friend will keep you safe, will protect you and will be a friend to you. The word Friendship is a very impressive, important, and heavy word,  it has a really hidden meaning behind it’s letters.  Friendship is a word that comes out of pure nature, a gift I enjoy opening, a real example of trust and enjoyment, a word with lots of meaning to it, a word that is unforgettable as are real friends.  Friendship is a bird. A bird who has just gained his freedom, and is flying free without a single worry in life. A bird who has realized the true meaning in life, a bird who has friends waiting for him on the other side.