An unexpected suprise | Teen Ink

An unexpected suprise

By brafferty, Gretna, Louisiana
brafferty, Gretna, Louisiana

Author's note:

I, as well as my two main characters, think that sentimental things are the best gifts. 

As I opened my eyes and sat up from my bed, it suddenly hit me! Grandma Liz is here! Today wasn’t going to be a mediocre day. I leaped out of my bed and ran down stairs to greet her. On the way down I saw all the boxes we still haven’t unpacked from the move we just made a few weeks ago. We had moved out of my grandma’s house. 

I got to the bottom of the steps and sprinted to the kitchen ready to welcome my grandma. It felt like I haven’t seen her in forever and I missed her so much since leaving her house back in Tennessee and moving to Louisiana. I glanced around and noticed she wasn’t there. 

“She’s running a little late sweetie but she’ll be here for 11.” Mom said. 

We had so many events to do and we were not going to be able to get to all of them, but that wasn’t her fault. 

I glanced at the clock; 8 am. “I guess I woke up so early because I was so excited,” I said with a laugh. “I can’t wait to go get lunch and go shopping with her today!” 

I walked out the kitchen and into the living room and saw my 8 year old brother Max watching football and playing with his legos. He and Mom were going to get his cleats for his game tonight. 

“Grandma Liz is here!” I told him. 

“Really! I thought she was coming tomorrow or the day after.” 

I went to my room to get ready and a few hours later I heard the doorbell ring. “Grandma!” I thought to myself. I saw her through our glass door. I swung open the door and hugged her like it’s been years. “I missed you so much.” we both whispered. She came inside and greeted everyone and put her bags down. 

“Sorry I’m late. I know we won’t be able to do everything we planned today because I’m late but we’ll do as much as we can and we still will have the whole rest of the day together to catch up!” she reassured me.  

“Okay, and don’t be sorry Grandma. It wasn’t your fault the flight was delayed.” 

She settled in more and then we left to go to some of our favorite stores they had in Louisiana: Trader Joe’s, TJ Maxx, and Franchesca’s. Then we went to go eat at Zea’s. 

When we walked in, there was a family having an altercation. 

“It’s probably just a little dilemma.” Grandma reassured me. 

We sat down together at our table and a waitress walked by to take our order. 

“Ugh.” she said after dropping her notepad. “Sorry you guys. It’s been a busy day.” 

“Don’t even worry about it honey. You’re doing just fine.” 

We ate and talked about how life has been back home with Grandma. During the car on the ride home we talked about how my adjustment has been with a new school and house. I told her about being a little stressed out with all the changes in school and a new place to get used to. She told me about how I just need to give myself time to adjust. Then we talked about how her mom gave her a special gift that was hers when they moved from Louisiana to Tennessee when she was my age.

When we got home, everyone was in the living room, listening to Max talk about how his team is going to terminate the other team tonight and how they’re going to be so irate after they lose. Mom admonished him to be nice. I sat down to listen. 

“I’ll be right back Reagan.” said Grandma. Then a few minutes later she appeared with a tiny box and placed it in my hand. “This is the same thing that my mom gave me.” 

I opened it up to see a shiny gold ring with a tiny green gem in the middle. I slipped it on my finger and it fit perfectly. 

“Thank you so much! It’s beautiful!” 

Then she told me more about the ring and who has had it before. Mom, Dad, and Max all told me how pretty and beautiful it was. 

“Soon we’re all going to go watch Max’s game and then go have dinner.” Dad said. 

For the rest of the day we had family time and caught up with one another and watched Max play and we went to eat all together as a family. I could already tell this week with Grandma was going to be amazing!