A Careful Wish | Teen Ink

A Careful Wish

By The_Devil_of_Life BRONZE, Parker, Colorado
The_Devil_of_Life BRONZE, Parker, Colorado

Author's note:

I want people to understand that even during the times of the worst possible problems, there are always better solutions than giving up.

On what would seem to be a normal day, a young boy, named Adam, walked home from school. It wasn’t much of a walk, the sidewalk was mostly flat with cracked parts here and there. The air was cold, and made his nose and ears turn bright red. He was wearing a short-sleeve shirt, shorts, and had blue cap on backwards. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, Adam enjoyed observing the beauty of nature and its surrounding inhabitants, everything was just the way he liked it.

Except for someone. Adam was your average looking third grader, he enjoyed learning, having fun, but he was bullied from time to time. Another third grade boy, named Timmy, was much different, and other than being two years older than everyone else; he was known as “the bully” or “the mean one”. According to Adam’s imaginative description, a bully was a special breed of kid and evil. Now back to Adam walking home, he heard soft footsteps behind him, as if someone was trying to sneak up on him. There was only one person in this world that could be trying to sneak up on him, and that was Timmy. Unfortunately, fate had decided that Timmy and Adam were to be next door neighbors. As he reached the front steps of his home, Adam turned around just in time to see Timmy pulling out an overfilled water balloon. Not surprised, Adam saw a smile on Timmy’s face. Just as Timmy was about to chuck the water balloon at him, his mother’s voice came out from the house next door. The boy quickly pocketed the balloon and ran to the woman; but just before he went into the house, Timmy looked at Adam and dragged his finger across his neck. It’s a shame Timmy doesn’t try to put his talents to good use, or Adam would actually take his threats seriously. Adam turned back towards his front door and knocked twice. The door opened and a lovely woman stood in front of him. She was a tall, average person, with dirty blonde hair and, hazel eyes; Adam’s mother. Adam was picked up by his mother as she took him inside from the cool breeze, and closed the door.

Once inside, Adam was set down by his mother and she went to prepare dinner in the kitchen. He quickly went upstairs, changed his clothes, washed his hands, and lay his homework out on his desk. But before he could do any work, he was to go downstairs and eat dinner with the family. Meanwhile, his father, a man of culture, and in search of the perfect hairstyle; don’t ask why. His mother had just finished setting up the table, and putting Sandy, Adam’s baby sister, into her seat before calling down Adam and his dad. When everyone had taken their seats at the dinner table, and said their prayers, they began to ultimately devour all of the food at the table. Like woah, their metabolism must be extremely high for someone to be able to shovel all of that food in to their mouth. After the nice meal, everyone wiped their mouths, except for Sandy who needed some help, and stacked their plates. Everyone had to go do their own thing. Adam went to do his homework, his dad was to go back to his work, and his mother was to look after Sandy and do some yoga routines.

When Adam got to his room, he sat down at his desk and started his homework. Moments later, he heard a thud at his windows and when he drew the curtains back, they revealed Timmy leaning out his window and attempting to chuck water balloons at him. Disappointed, in how much time he wasted staring at Timmy, Adam closed the curtains, sat back down to finish his work, and played some music to drown out the thuds.

After finishing his homework Timmy said goodnight to his little sister and his parents. He was later tucked in by his mother, but before she left he asked her if she could stay a little longer.

“Sure thing bud, what’s up?”, she said.

“Mom”, Adam replied, “Timmy keeps bullying me, what do I do?”

“Well, you could try making friends with him”, she said.

“Friends?”, Adam said, “But Timmy is mean, why would I make friends with him?”

“Well by making friends, you’d have stopped a bully and made a new friend at the same time”, she replied.

“Well, okay then”, Adam said, “I guess I can try.”

“That’s my little boy’, she said as she gave him a kiss atop his head, closed the lights, and walked out the door.

Almost immediately afterwards, Adam turned to the teddy bear on his bed, Mr. Teddy; and asked for his advice.

“Mommy says I should try to make friends with Timmy, but Timmy is a mean boy. I’m not sure what to do, I told mom that I would try but I’m not sure. What do you think Mr. Teddy?”.

Mr. Teddy lie down saying nothing, perhaps contemplating his life choices.

“Really, are you sure I should really go for it Mr. Teddy?”, said Adam to his teddy bear.

Silence.

“Whatever you say”, Adam said, “Goodnight then.”

The next morning Adam head off towards the bus stop normally, thankful that TImmy rode to school in his dad’s car. Completely to his surprise, Adam hasn’t seen Timmy at all during the day. But when recess came around, he spotted Timmy sitting under a tree alone. Adam wasn’t playing with anyone right now, so he decided to take the shot and hope for the best. He grabbed a ball from the toys bin and walked over towards Timmy.

“Hey, you wanna play some catch together”, Adam asked.

Timmy just stared at Adam, wondering why the boy would approach him to ask if he could play with him.

“So”, Adam asked, “is that a yes?”.

“Okay”, Timmy replied.

Timmy stood up just as Adam passed the ball to him. The two boys caught on and played together for the rest of recess.

Later on, Timmy and Adam would be know to become one of the best friends in the entire school. Timmy was just being a bully because he thought that he can make friends be showing them how tough he can be. Their friendship burned brighter than a thousand stars, and it would never show any signs of burning out.

The End