Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

Falcore said...
May 6, 2010 at 6:31 pm:
I know a lot of people like this book and this movie but honestly, both of them represent everything thats wrong with the entertainment industries of today, the fact that something so trite and unimaginative can have such success while pure masterpieces such as "a serious man" go unnoticed is a terrible crime, just compare the box office profits of both movies, you'll see what I mean.

cadence.mccarthy replied...
May 11, 2010 at 11:14 am :
I love you. Thank you

hello.beautiful replied...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 6:33 am :
I agree with what you said.

Rockehh said...
May 3, 2010 at 9:30 pm:

I have to admit that the books were much more different from the movie, but the movie doesn't have to be made to portray the books.

I was actually quite dissapointed when I read the books; they are horribly worded, and they have quite the wrong spellings.

I found the movies much better than the books. I did not care about how 'hot' the actors were. As a matter of fact, I thought they were pretty unatractive. Although, overall, I find the saga quite good.

Morgan52 said...
May 3, 2010 at 4:56 pm:
I love the book twilight but i thought that the movie wasnt as good as the book was. I think the director could have done a lil more out of hte book then jus came up with her own thing. and i think that they could have picked a better edward

~TuffIsEnuff~ replied...
Jun. 30, 2010 at 10:32 am :
OMG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! I HATE Robert Pattinson as Edward... I think he pretty much sucks in general except for his TINY role in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire... his head is just WAY too deformed. Have you noticed, in Twilight, when Edward is attacking James and they are against the mirror and Edward growls how weird his head looks?? It's, like, wider than long!! I think Rob Pattinson has some facial issues.... 

SafeleoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 12:05 am :
His head looks like a lego.

CassieSherman14 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I don't really like vampires or romance but twilight is different than most books and moveies about that kind of stuff. I have read part of the book and watched part of the movie and although it's not my alll-time favorite I will agree that it is very good and entertaining. Great article.

shakti said...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 6:39 am:
Yes its a book and i like this movie too. I like its second part a lot.

ShaunShaefron said...
Apr. 10, 2010 at 11:14 am:
Completely agreed about the romance elements and the 'perfect body' thing, but for some reason I still liked the books.  They definitely had a lot of flaws, but it intrigued so I don't know.  Also, I don't really have a problem with the sparkling vampire thing.  That's small compared to everything else.

lux24 said...
the books are so much better the movies ruined it

Valery5This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 23, 2010 at 12:04 pm :
I agree that the books are much better than the moives but the movies are good too.

hello.beautiful replied...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 6:33 am :
I agree, the books are definetley better.

xBaByGiRrL22xThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
wow. really descriptive. im a twilight fan myself, and u easily said it all. awesome job!!

ChangedForever said...
WOW. i'm not sure if i agree with you, but being a (former) twilight fan myself, i think its refreshing to find a review that does not tear the whole thing to shreds and stomp on the pieces. way to stick with it, girl!

Infatuation said...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 1:01 pm:
Okay. First of all I don't think people who didn't read the books but watched the movies should have no say in this. The movies are just horrible compared to the books. The actors are alright but not my favorite. Taylor Lautner is simple gorgeous but i'm not gonna brag about it. I don't get infatuated with actors that I will probably never meet in my life time. The books are awesome and the movies do not portray them properly.

Rockehh replied...
May 3, 2010 at 9:27 pm :
Although I see your point, the movies don't necessarily have to be made to portray the books. For example, look at Frankenstein. In the books, he is a very intelligent being, made of body parts and the brain of a crimal. Then, in the movie, is a very, ermm... dumb being, made to be like a robot. Still, good point.

mycheriseamour said...
Mar. 15, 2010 at 7:27 am:
I'm sorry, but as someone who dabbles in screenwriting myself, I must say that Twilight is an absolute piece of inartistic, melodramatic, horribly-written piece of junk. The screenwriter should be shot, and so should the author. It's totally cliched...ooh, forbidden romance - I saw that movie in '95! Read the screenplay, and disregard the hot actors, and you will see that the lines suck - "I know what you are," COME ON! What's happening to this world creatively. I&#... (more »)

Falcore replied...
May 6, 2010 at 6:34 pm :
I completely agree with you, its astonishing to me that anyone who saw this film or read this book wasn't able to immediately recognize the pure lack of talent. the story is really just a ripoff of the original Dracula by Bram Stoker mixed in with some hot body descriptions to appeal to female readers, the designed a book for a demographic and sadly everyone bought into it. 

Apr. 5, 2011 at 12:07 am :
I totaly agree with you but don't say the author should be shot because she helped make teenink...