Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight MAG

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

Alaintia said...
I thought the whole movie was extremely cheesy but i do think that themovies are improving though they wont live up to the books in a million years. No offense to the cast or anything, I just think that the books are always better than the movies.   

on Jun. 8 2010 at 10:25 am
iluvnacho PLATINUM, Somewhere, Colorado

\"Find the beauty in the ugly\"-Jason Mraz 5-19-10
\"Be kinder than nessicary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.\" Unknown 11-29-10

Since this is an opinion, i must give you props for excpressing your in a beautifully written piece. In my eyes, the books are so much better. but good job on expressing yourself!

Ninja_Writer BRONZE, Western Springs, Illinois
This movie was terrible. The acting was atrocious and no matter how "adorable" the leading man is that doesn't make up for a terrible movie. The effects were terrible too. I'm sorry, your review is well written, but I have to disagree with you.

biebergirl1 said...
biebergirl1, White Plains, New York
ya the books dont match the movie becauses the books are the original stories so the movies are just like remixes

anime18 SILVER said...
anime18 SILVER, Brampton, Other

Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

SERIOUSLY BOTH THE MOVIE AND  BOOK WERE HORRIBLE AND HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING, PERSONALLY WHEN I LEFT THE THEATRES I LAUGHED SO HARD THAT MY EYES WERE LIKE THE SURFACE OF A TOMATO AND THE SUNLIGHT HURT.

MiriamH said...
MiriamH, Mequon, Wisconsin

“I just want someone to hear what I have to say. And maybe if I talk long enough, it’ll make sense.”

Me too, I hated the books and the movies were laughable.

on May. 17 2010 at 5:00 am
Chinadoll BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
I agree with you! It is so overrated now that everyone making a fuse about it.

on May. 11 2010 at 11:14 am
cadence.mccarthy BRONZE, Vero Beach, Florida
I love you. Thank you

on May. 11 2010 at 10:05 am
^ This. Its not cliche to have a vampire sleep in a coffin or die when sunlight hits it. That's just how vampires have been written about ever since the stories came to the western world. Its history, not cliche. Cliche, is having a dumb female lead falling in love with a psychotic, self hating, rebel. See Rebel with out a Cause. Or really any "badboy" movie from the 1950's and 60's.

Safeleo said...
Safeleo, Iwakuni, Other

"Looking up into the night sky is like looking into infinity - the distance is incomprehensible and therefore meaningless."
-Douglas Adams

I hated the movie and all the books.

Falcore BRONZE said...
Falcore BRONZE, Davidsonville, Maryland

"its goblin spelled backwards"

oh one other thing I forgot, you should really learn that theres a difference between cliches and classic motf's

the coffin and stake vampires make up some of the most influential and well known horror films of all time, all of which go above and beyond anything that Twilight could ever become, example : Nosferatu and  Bella legosi's Dracula. 

Falcore BRONZE said...
Falcore BRONZE, Davidsonville, Maryland

"its goblin spelled backwards"

I completely agree with you, its astonishing to me that anyone who saw this film or read this book wasn't able to immediately recognize the pure lack of talent. the story is really just a ripoff of the original Dracula by Bram Stoker mixed in with some hot body descriptions to appeal to female readers, the designed a book for a demographic and sadly everyone bought into it. 

Falcore BRONZE said...
Falcore BRONZE, Davidsonville, Maryland

"its goblin spelled backwards"

I know a lot of people like this book and this movie but honestly, both of them represent everything thats wrong with the entertainment industries of today, the fact that something so trite and unimaginative can have such success while pure masterpieces such as "a serious man" go unnoticed is a terrible crime, just compare the box office profits of both movies, you'll see what I mean.

xxRockehhGhostxx, Shiloh, Ohio

"Life is an interesting journey. You never know where it'll take you- Peaks and valleys, twists and turns. You can get the surprise of your life. Sometimes on the way to where you're going, you might think "This is the worst time of my life." But you know what, at the end of the road, after all the diversity, you can get where you wanted to be, you remember that whatever don't kill you makes you stronger. On your way to the top, you'll do anything. But how do you get your life back once you get there? Yeah, that's my dilemma." [TI.]

I have to admit that the books were much more different from the movie, but the movie doesn't have to be made to portray the books.

I was actually quite dissapointed when I read the books; they are horribly worded, and they have quite the wrong spellings.

I found the movies much better than the books. I did not care about how 'hot' the actors were. As a matter of fact, I thought they were pretty unatractive. Although, overall, I find the saga quite good.

xxRockehhGhostxx, Shiloh, Ohio

Although I see your point, the movies don't necessarily have to be made to portray the books. For example, look at Frankenstein. In the books, he is a very intelligent being, made of body parts and the brain of a crimal. Then, in the movie, is a very, ermm... dumb being, made to be like a robot. Still, good point.

Morgan52 BRONZE, Thermopolis, Wyoming

If you love someone then set them free, Who really knows what love is.

I love the book twilight but i thought that the movie wasnt as good as the book was. I think the director could have done a lil more out of hte book then jus came up with her own thing. and i think that they could have picked a better edward

Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

I don't really like vampires or romance but twilight is different than most books and moveies about that kind of stuff. I have read part of the book and watched part of the movie and although it's not my alll-time favorite I will agree that it is very good and entertaining. Great article.

Valery5 said...
Valery5, Riverside, California

"What's bad for your heart is good for your art."

I agree that the books are much better than the moives but the movies are good too.

shakti said...
on Apr. 12 2010 at 6:39 am
Yes its a book and i like this movie too. I like its second part a lot.

on Apr. 10 2010 at 11:14 am
ShaunShaefron BRONZE, Farmington Hills, Michigan

Never let the shadow of a failure block the sunshine of success.

Completely agreed about the romance elements and the 'perfect body' thing, but for some reason I still liked the books.  They definitely had a lot of flaws, but it intrigued so I don't know.  Also, I don't really have a problem with the sparkling vampire thing.  That's small compared to everything else.