Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

toxic.monkey said...
agree with most of it, except that i think it's a terrible movie :P
AND Kristen Stewart has completely utterly absolutely failed bella swan. bella is meant to be this responsible, quiet, almost funny and very special person- instead we get a stuttering, lost, unexpressionate drip... disappointing.

toxic.monkey replied...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 9:06 am :
sorry, but aren't good actors the ones who can actually suit themselves to a character they are playing rather than fail creating a strong character?

LGscholar said...
Wow! That was so good. You have brilliant word choice and i agree with almost everything you said! 9 out of 10 stars to you!

bubbasamantha said...
Okay, for those of you who think Kristen Stewart did a horrible job in this movie, I thought she was intriguing! Sure, maybe she didn't act like the Bella I pictured, but I found her acting in this movie kind of haunting and mysterious, and I absolutely LOVED it! I now consider Kristen as one of my favorite actresses just from seeing her perform in this single film! Plus, she did just a good job in New Moon, too! Keep up the good work, Kristen!

Damon said...
Dec. 13, 2009 at 12:49 am:
i didne like any book or movie in this series.

twlights bigest fan replied...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 6:02 pm :
what do u mean u did not like any book u twlight hatter everyone is going to hate u

SafeleoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 12:18 am :
I don't hate Damon and I think TWILIGHT SUCKS. There, that's two of us plus everyone else who agrees with me.

hbeats4u2 said...
In my opinian I absolutley hated the movie. The novel was the best one I have read. (And I have read a lot of novels including Pride and Prejudice.) The movie left out so much romance that book swallowed the reader in. Kristen Stewart has no characteristic qualities with Bella. In the book, it describes Bella as a "normal" girl. But in the movie, I was brought to believe that she was a dull, boring character. The movie was horriblly put together. I can't believe that it was put on air.

Inkspired said...
Kay, people: Twilight is a BOOK. It is NOT meant to be a bad influence, it IS meant to be an entertaining story. And in case you didn't notice, there was no real teen pregnancy (bella was married), or underage sex (again, married!). You're really reading too much in this book! And while I admit I'd love to find a guy who loves me as much as Edward loves Bella, that does not mean that I want everything in their relationship. There are just too many arguments to contradict them... (more »)

remym This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 17, 2009 at 5:04 pm :
yes, it is a book, and books can be very bad influences. please do think about it a little. i'd argue edward is an abusive boyfriend. http ://teenink .com /opinion/all/article/149586/The-Case-Against-Twilight/ give the other side's opinion a chance. i read all the books, so its not like i'm just saying its stupid without even trying to like them.

toxic.monkey replied...
Dec. 21, 2009 at 2:11 pm :
out of curiosity ^_^

lolly121 said...
GREAT REVIEW!!!
I saw Twilight. To me, the movie wasn't as good as the book. And I really do think that Kristen needs acting lessons. Honestly that woman had practically one facial expression throughout the whole movie! I'll admit that there were some scenes that were pretty good. So on a scale of one to ten, I'd probably give the movie a 5 or 6.

iluvzak!!!!!!!! said...
Dec. 3, 2009 at 10:46 am:
i loved the books!!!!!!!! stephenie meyer has got a true talent! While reading the the twilight saga i was an edward fan bc jacob seemed like a complete jerk. But when they made the movie and got Tayler Lautner to play jacob omg i went to team jacob even tho i still totally think hes a jerk for tryin to steal bella way from edward. new moon is hopefully a better movie

Nicolioliolsterz_1 said...
Personally, I think that the whole Twilight saga is the greatest book ever. Most people say that its kind of boring and that everything is the same in each book just expressed in different ways. But as a Twilight fan, if you actually sat down and took the time to read the books they are WAYYYYYYYYYY better than the movies are. The movie also don't put in certain scenes in the books. So in a sense, your missing out. But Twilight rulez and people who think it stinx drool!!

jasper said...
the movie and book were both horrible! nice review. imagine how the review would look is a dude wrote it.

twlights bigest fan replied...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 6:04 pm :
u r horrible for hatting the twlight series including new moon

remym This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Actually, I think Kristen Stewart can't act and needs to stop blinking and staring at people's chins instead of making eye contact, the wholoe thing being blue was irritating, and Pattinson (although very attractive) looked bored.

Kierastar said...
Ok, I understand that there are people who love it and those who hate it. There seems to be no in between. I have to admit I love it. I loved the imagery, the plotline and the fantasy feel. Edward is a gorgeous caring vampire, but it is nothing compared to Pride and Predjudice and Wuthering Heights. There are two complete different genres and styles. People get so worked about different opinions, but if you haven't even tried reading it and ultimately hate it, is just not right. I'd un... (more »)

DeadlyPoppy said...
This review was definitely well written and persuasive, but totally wrong. Catherine Hardwicke is a terrible director and should be flushed out of the moviwmaking owrld forever for this atrocity. Both leads portray their characters horrible, especially Miss One-facial-expression Stewart. The movie hardly stuck to the books and left out many of Stephanie Meyer's most amazing quotes. While the books were well written and worth reading, the movie gets 2 thumbs down.

SueGirl replied...
Nov. 29, 2009 at 9:30 am :
While I respect your opinion, I don't think you should tell someone that their review is "wrong." Everyone has their own opinions, and the person who wrote this review expressed their opinion. Therefore, their review isn't wrong, you just don't agree with their opinion.

Erin W. replied...
Nov. 30, 2009 at 9:14 pm :
I agree. A review is essentially an opinion, and opinions cannot be wrong. While the movie did leave out some of the books, it wasn't like it was a completely different plot from the books. It didn't leave out any major plot points like a lot of other adaptations do.