Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight MAG

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

ToriRese BRONZE, Faith, North Carolina
It is not vapid and stupid! I mean I respect your point of view and everything but we Twilight fans have our own reasons for enjoying the books.

jellofish said...
The problem with the Twilight saga, as I see it, is that it really is a bad influence on girls. This applies especially to the younger kids. What kind of message are we sending when we endorse a series that includes (and indeed appears to actively encourage by labeling 'romantic') emotionally obsessive relationships, underage sex , teen pregnancy , and pedophilia? The 'oh, he's a werewolf/vampire, it's different' argument holds no water; it's still there, and kids are reading this and thinking, "I want my future relationship to be like that." I have read the first three books, and even Bella's own mother points out the danger in her relationship with Edward, comparing her to a satellite constantly orienting herself around Edward and his needs. It's not romantic, and it isn't right.

cheyb88 SILVER said...
cheyb88 SILVER, Saint Joseph, Missouri

The lunatic, the lover, the poet, are of imagination of all compact. -William Shakespeare

So don't worry, because I am with you. Don't be afraid, because I am your God. I will make you strong and will help you. I will support you with my right hand that saves you.
Isaiah 41:10

"Expectation is the root of all headaches"- William Shakespeare

"Here take my Elmo" -Chloe'

“If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it doesn’t, then it was never meant to be.”

different people. different opinions.

godzilla1 said...
Daw, c'mon. I'm not trashing it: I'm just objectively, rationally observing it. And, from a rational, objective point of view, Twilight is a torpid, pointless franchise that has suckered millions of you little hoodlums into buying the books, watching films, and consuming vast amounts of their Walmart-worthy merchandise, like back-packs, and breath-mints and stuff. I mean, it's all good. Like what you want. I just know you're acting as consumers on something that's vapid and stupid.

bennyB PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee
I read all of the books and I think they sucked

JordanNicole SILVER, Spartanburg, South Carolina

\"Love is strange, powerful, and sneaky. You won\'t know it until you find it...and when you have it, never let it go!\" ~JordanNicole

I love the review! Oh, and I'm in love with the Twilight Saga. No doubt that I've already read it five times!!!! :) I wonder what Bella's life would've been like if she's ended up with Jacob????

ToriRese BRONZE, Faith, North Carolina
You are so mean! Just because you didnt like it dosent mean you can just go around trashing it! Why ruin our fun?

godzilla1 said...
I mean, the books are terrible too. But the film was poorly acted, overly commercialized, and constructed in a way as to make it both boring and unintentionally hilarious. I mean, the whole concept that Stephanie Myers has created about Vamp-tramp love is just a gimmick to get millions of teen-girls to go out and buy her dribbel. I'm sorry if you're a fan. There's just no way you can call that good or compelling writing.

cheyb88 SILVER said...
on Nov. 23 2009 at 8:25 am
cheyb88 SILVER, Saint Joseph, Missouri

Isaiah 41:10

"Here take my Elmo" -Chloe'

thats exactly what i mean they won't even open up the books it really makes me angry..

brit sue =) said...
on Nov. 23 2009 at 7:23 am
I agree completely with you..i hate people who will just say i hate it its stupid and its just makes me go insane

brit said...
on Nov. 23 2009 at 7:09 am
I love all the books & movies! =) Love the review.

cheyb88 SILVER said...
cheyb88 SILVER, Saint Joseph, Missouri

Isaiah 41:10

"Here take my Elmo" -Chloe'

I like the twilight saga books because its way to step out of everyday life get a look into a world that is not real is just like video games or anything else so honestly i think everyone should give it a chance :)

lo0li2511 said...
u are so right. i love the twilight saga because they are great books and i did not even see the movie when i read the books

UndiscoveredSweets PLATINUM, Holly Springs, North Carolina

We keep moving forward, opening new doors and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths- Walt Disney

But yea I loved the movie.. Personally im Team jacob but i was like couldnt they have like actual dogs be the wolves and have them just enlarge them.. And i don't get how you would get them confused w/ bears but in the dark they just looked pretty freaky

TheUnknownGuest GOLD, Woodbridge, Virginia

I can't remember it clearly, but it went something like this:

"The past is the past, the future is the furture. But now, now is like a gift, which is why it is called present."

Oh yea! And people may have their own oppinon! (including how I can't spell)

:)

PearlX PLATINUM, Ypsilanti, Michigan
GREAT REVIEW.

But horrible movie. I loved the books but the movie was HORRIBLE. They ruined it.

ToriRese BRONZE, Faith, North Carolina
What do you mean a terrible film?! It was great! At least I think so! Have you read the books? They are better than the movie but the movie was good to!

ToriRese BRONZE, Faith, North Carolina
I agree! The movie was awesome! The books were a bit different but they made it work!

ToriRese BRONZE, Faith, North Carolina
You know what, you have no right to tell any of the Twilight fans why they like it! I am a girl and I do not watch it just for the boys like you say! I watch it because the story has a great plotline! The books were also very well writen! So, do not tell me why I watch the movie!

omg! yes it was! My sister took me with her boyfriend to see it and they were laughing at me laughing at the wolves. Maybe it's because I read the book and knew what was going to happen? lol. But it was amazing! The characters were more belivable in this movie!

:)