Mother Warrior | Teen Ink

Mother Warrior

A Mother Warrior is a mother that will do whatever it takes to help her son/daughter fight and recover from autism. And that's what Jenny McCarthy is- a mother warrior along with thousands of other mothers who want to help their children get better. This title explained everything. The main idea was to tell readers about the people who fought their way through this, and she did. She includes her own story of curing her son Evan and all the hardships she went through which was very heart- warming and hopeful. She just kept fighting and fighting, and I can tell Jenny McCarthy is a strong woman who will fight for what she believes in. She has interviews on the Oprah Winfrey Show, 20/20, The Good Morning America Show with Diane Sawyer, and the View with Barbara Walters. They were all good yet repetitive. She also includes a few mother/father warriors and their stories of their children's difficulties with autism. I enjoyed the beginning of the novel about the stories of other mother warriors and her. This novel was very touching and it had interesting information about the unknowns of autism. I can tell she had a lot of trouble going through all this with her son Evan, but she kept fighting. It was all very effective for her cause, and her novel will give everyone who reads it hope. But I find all of her interviews repetitive. She goes on air and talks about vaccines causing autism, and nobody believes her, even the interviewers, except the other moms that have been through this. It's the same with every interview she has. Her journey through this whole thing was very long and repetitive. All she does is go to conference to conference getting mad at scientists. All she does is get angry. This book seems to drag on and on, and I found it very hard to read. The stories of other warriors were pretty much all the same, and I found it so boring that I fell asleep many times. The only story that was very heart-touching and emotional to me was the last story about Gina Tembenis: Mother Warrior to Elias. This was the only story that was different from the rest. The child didn't survive. This was the only story that spoke to me. Once you read this, you will have compassion for these autistic kids. This was the worst yet best story in this novel. I don't recommend this book to people who don't have patience or don't like to read. It's very long, and it tells the same stories over and over again. But I recommend it to anyone interested in reading about this hidden disease that happens to more kids than expected. You'd be surprised to how many kids have autism. This really was a touching book but very iterative and tedious.