The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater | Teen Ink

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

By TsunShun SILVER, Olympia, Washington
TsunShun SILVER, Olympia, Washington

"Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears."

Imagine that when you were young, family and friends kept reminding you that in the future you would kill your true love… with a kiss? Well, that’s how it is for sixteen-year old Blue Sargent. The book, “The Raven Boys” by Maggie Stiefvater, explains the chaos introduced to Blue’s life when she meets the Raven Boys.

The plot follows Blue, the daughter of a fortune teller, and four other boys and their adventure in looking for the tomb of Glendower. Blue Sargent has been told by her family that she would kill her true love with a kiss. She never worried about this because she was sure she was never going to fall in love anyway, until she finally met him, her true love Gansey. Gansey and his loyal friends on the other hand, are busy trying to find Glendower, for the honor. Glendower is a Welsh king of the ancient times. Gansey believes in the legend of Glendower’s tomb, the legend that states that the one who finds the tomb will be granted a wish. The climax was confusing, but the end is suspenseful and will make you want to read the next installment in the series, “Dream Thieves”.

When it came to characters, Maggie Stiefvater didn’t disappoint me! Each character had their own backstory. The characters’ past lives will make you cry or make you laugh. All of the characters have different personalities, from optimistic to mysterious to affectionate. Many of the characters have feelings easy to relate to, while some characters had complex feelings. There are many moments where you want to hit them in the face because they did something so stupid. With a contrast of personalities, you’re bound to have a favorite character!

All in all, the book, “Raven Boys” by Maggie Stiefvater, was great in many ways. It brought me internal pain at the sad moments and joy at its happiest times. I had an emotional bond with each of the main characters. The story is great and I loved the romance included, though I thought the climax was too confusing. I recommend this book to people who enjoy paranormal adventure with a bit of romance.