The Museum of Intangible Things by Wendy Wunder | Teen Ink

The Museum of Intangible Things by Wendy Wunder

By therootcause BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois
therootcause BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois

"Maybe there are no good people. Maybe there are only good decisions."

This book is astounding, and that's the first thing I'll say about it.

We start out with a bold opening chapter; it's poetic and gives great first insight into the main character, Hannah. Hannah's best friend, Zoe, asks her to come on a trip away from their comfortable, small home town. Thus they embark on a roadtrip with a manic Zoe and a sceptical Hannah. There's some romantic subplot but very little; it is in no way a romantic novel.

One thing that I love about this book is its fantastic, astonishing depiction of bipolar disorder and the bonds of friendship. It shows bipolar disorder with clarity and accuracy, as read by someone who has very personal experience with the disorder. In one of its most memorable, haunting scenes, it demonstrates the deep bond of Hannah and Zoe's friendship, one more intense and deep than a romantic love, a bond that transcends everything. The book left me with emotions I was unable to identify, even with the help of Zoe's museum of intangible things.

This book was real, and stunning, and humorous, and startingly intense. It almost reminded me of the X-Files, in a way. It demonstrates the fickleness of teenage love while also allowing it to be something real and intense and true. 

All I can really say is read this book. If you never read anything else, read this book. The characters will draw you in in such an intense way you'll almost feel like you share their journey. It's very immersive, and I read it in one sitting. Well worth the read.