Go Ask Alice by Anonymous | Teen Ink

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous MAG

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

earthy_kat GOLD, Sebree, Kentucky

"My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel from the book Watership Down (by Richard Adams).

@ KateMasen: I've read "Cut", actually.I really enjoyed it. (:

@ Alexandria6: I read Speak a long time ago,too.It's another pne that I need to re-read.

sydneeharris16 DIAMOND, Auburn, Maine

we the willing, lead by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. we have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

and her name is never accualy mentioned....but she says she feels Llike Alice, from Alice in Wonderland .

sydneeharris16 DIAMOND, Auburn, Maine

i read this book earlier this year....i fell in love with it. its based on a true story.

on Mar. 27 2010 at 11:01 am
Alexandria6 BRONZE, Hickory, North Carolina

"This world will never be, what I expected. And if something went wrong, who would have guessed it?"

Another good book that is somewhat similar to this is Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I've read Speak, Cut, and Go Ask Alice, and I think my favorite is Speak, though Go Ask Alice is a close second.

Peace420 BRONZE, Williston, Florida
This was a good read, although the "diary" is not real.

Wallflower PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

If you aren't happy alone then you're not going to be happy with anyone else.

The one thing I really didn't like about this book was that I didn't get at all emotionally attached to the character because her problems were silly and I felt no emotional connection to her and her death caused me no sorrow.

i_am_nobody SILVER, Belgrade, Montana

"Be yourself, don't take anyone's sh*t, and never let them take you alive." -Gerard Way

i recently read this book and was immediatly cought up in it. but u did get some of the details wrong

on Mar. 5 2010 at 9:34 am
KateMasen BRONZE, Hickory, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"So it goes..."

Another good book is "Cut" by Patricia McCormic, and all Ella Hopkins books are awesome. Rx is a great one dealing with drug abuse, though I forget the author.

Kimmikko3 GOLD said...
Kimmikko3 GOLD, Massena, New York

Your mind creates your reality. If you expect nothing, you open up the universe to give you options. If you expect the worst, you usually get it (James Patterson)

I think the book was really good at first then it started to get boring because it was repeating her being clean and happy to her getting back into drugs and being depressed

Myshella said...
They made me read this at school It didnt really stand out in any way to me, it wasnt great and it was creepy.

SarahC BRONZE said...
SarahC BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

"Today I caught myself smiling for no reason... then I realized I was thinking about you"

I read that book...it was creepy...(shiver)...but i'm glad I read it.

P.S. It never says her name, so we don't know if Alice is her name.

earthy_kat GOLD, Sebree, Kentucky

I read "Go Ask Alice" a very long time ago, and I think I need to read it again. Anyone who enjoyed "Go Ask Alice" should also read a book called "Crank" by Ellen Hopkins.

Of course it doesn't say her name in the book! It is supposed to be a journal/diary.

Jenny21 SILVER said...
on Dec. 30 2009 at 12:18 am
Jenny21 SILVER, Pocatello, Idaho

The people who mind don\'t matter, the people who matter don\'t mind.

it is not the same author whose name is ellen hopkins by the way this book is over 25 years old and for all of you who say it is not actually a dairy is wrong it is and the dairy was written well over 35 years ago vocabulary was different back then so thats why it doesnt always sound like a kids writting great review

TheUnknownGuest GOLD, Woodbridge, Virginia

I can't remember it clearly, but it went something like this:

"The past is the past, the future is the furture. But now, now is like a gift, which is why it is called present."

The Ellen Hopkins books are pretty good. They deal with the same things (kind of). They are really big books but really quick to read because they are in poem form.... Well more like concrete poems I guess. The books are called, Crank, Burned, Glass, Impulse, Identical, and Tricks. Only Crank and Glass are together.... the others are just simular to each other. Let me know if you read them and what you think of them!

:)

kkhh said...
on Dec. 15 2009 at 8:48 am
It said on the description that her name was Alice, and it said it on the cover of the book , it didn't have to state her name in the book . !!

melii said...
i read this book it is a good one , yet i have read etter dealing with this type of books ad themes

on Dec. 7 2009 at 9:54 am
SickImage SILVER, Klamath Falls, Oregon

The room was very quiet. I walked over to the TV set and turned it onto a dead channel-white noise at maximum decibels, a fine sound for sleeping, a powerful continuous hiss to drown out everything strange."

Also (her name isn't alice) never once in the book does it state the subjects name...

The book was named after a song

on Dec. 7 2009 at 9:52 am
SickImage SILVER, Klamath Falls, Oregon

It was written by an anti drug activist.

She wrote a bunch of books like this.

All of them by "anonymous"

If you're looking for a good book read

Perks of Being a Wallflower

It's 1000 times better than go ask alice, and it deals with the same kind of things..

Celair_Phoenix SILVER, Hue, Other

"All that glitters is not gold
Not all those who wanders are lost."

Actually there's no proof that it was a girl's diary. If you look in wikipedia it said that the author was actually BEatrice Sparks who is also the 'editor' of the book Besides, the book has words you wouldn't find in a teen's diary (I mean really who uses impregnable and gregarious in an everyday diary entry?) I suppose this is a good book to tell teens about drug abuse but as a REAL diary of a REAL teen. That's a lie!