Night by Elie Wiesel | Teen Ink

Night by Elie Wiesel

August 25, 2012
By srader BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
srader BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Rayna is a muffin.


The book "Night" by Elie Wiesel will break your heart. If you thought the Diary of Anne Frank was bad, you should read this. It shows the perspective of a 15 year old boy who gets sent to the concentration camps Buchenwald and Ausawitz with his father. All throughout the book you feel as if you are watching the boy from a window and can see his whole life go by horribly and there is nothing you can do about it. You can feel his hardships and see him dying more physically and emotionally everyday. His experience ruined him. He was no longer the boy he was just a year ago. He watched his sisters and mother get taken away from him, the beating and death of his father, and his own father's death. And the worse part was that he was numb to it all. Before his experience seeing this would of broke him, but he was already broken. Even though he made it out, he was never free. He was a different person, and those memories would haunt him forever.





The way Elie Wiesel wrote the book was incredible. And knowing that all this really happened to him made it so much more personal. He wrote what he felt, and you can tell that he didn't hold back anything. As you read the book you can feel how much he changes. At first he's sweet and doesn't want anything bad to happen to anyone, but as the book progresses you can see he stops to care. The only person he cared about was himself. Death was nothing to be afraid of anymore. Elie made that easy to understand. Understand that the tragedy didn't only kill millions of innocent people physically, but it also killed everyone who made it out inside too. And he wasn't short about the details. He mentioned the SS throwing babies in the air and killing them, and hanging a child in front of everyone just to show that they were in charge. That takes a lot of guts to write about that, but I'm glad he did because now we can all understand how cruel and heartless the workers and the concentration camps were.





The book will change your perspective on life. It shows how easy we have things. No matter how bad you think your life is, it could be worse. Elie is living proof. The book will make you cry, but you don't ever want to stop reading it. You want to know more, even though you can't bear to even imagine the horrible things the SS will do next. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about the Holocaust or just wants a great book. I personally loved it. It was confusing at the beginning and a little bit in the middle but I reread it a couple times and understood it. Overall the book was a winner. It will change your perspective on life.