Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen | Teen Ink

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

February 1, 2012
By Worrymouse BRONZE, Hudson, Maine
Worrymouse BRONZE, Hudson, Maine
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Water for Elephants is a captivating, fast-paced book, that’ll have you finding it difficult to put down. In this action-filled plot of love, trust, and murder, we travel back in time through the aging mind of 93-year-old Jacob Jankowsi, as he remembers his experiences with the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth.

When Jacob is orphaned at 23, during The Great Depression, due to a devastating car accident killing his parents, he drops out of veterinary school, packs what little he has and runs away. Jumping a circus train he takes a position as the circus vet. When he’s assigned to care after the horse of the dazzling equestrian, Marlena, Jacob soon finds himself falling in love.

Then along comes Rosie the elephant. She was bought in the high hopes that she would, with Marlena on her back, be the star performance. The only problem was, she had no training and couldn’t even seem to follow simple instructions. Tormented by the severe beatings of August Rosenbluth, Marlena’s cruel husband, she seeks refuge in Jacob and Marlena, and the three unlikely trio stick together and eventually bring down the corrupt and vile ways of Uncle Al, the owner of it all.

Surprising, poignant, and laughable, this story is sure to have you on the edge of your seat screaming for more!